E20 or E30?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by PeterK, Sep 7, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I have the JBL EC25 center channel. For my mains should I go with the E20's or 30's. I know the 30's are probably better but are they worth the extra $120?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Either speaker will work fine with your EC25, ... so base your purchase on your present budget!!!

FYI: The E20 is one of the very few bookshelf speakers objectively bench-marked by Tom Nousaine (for Sound & Vision) to have useable bass reaching down to 88 Hz and reaching up to 20 kHz!!!

Hope this helps,
    Phil

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Peter: I would go for the 30s. Speakers with 5" and smaller woofers (to my ears anyway) tend to sound.....thin. And even though I know a speaker's response doesn't just "stop" at a certain point, 88Hz is uncomfortably far away from the accepted 80Hz subwoofer/satellite crossover point. And sometimes for certain sub placements something lower than an 80Hz crossover would be better but with such small satellites........

And as far as safe power handling is concerned: this test wasn't scientific or anything but once I had some Infinity Primus speakers with 5" woofers powered by a H/K AVR630 crossed over at 80Hz. When I was playing 311's Grassroots CD at rather high levels (I think the volume was set at around -15dB) you should have seen those woofers pulsating! My own receiver's xover only goes down to 100Hz (the reason I was experimenting with the H/K & Infinity set-up) but even so, I've seen the eight inch woofers in my Bostons still doing a pretty good jig with certain CDs & movies. So IMO depending on how loud you listen to your movies/music, a small speaker like the E20 might be at risk for damage or possibly distorted sound.

I've read several times that the reason so many sub/sat systems sound so anemic is because the sats can't reproduce the mid & upper bass frequencies very well. In fact, several people here have said a sat should have a flat response to at least one third an octave?/half an octave? below the system crossover point to prevent an audible dip in the system's overall frequency response.

Most decent speakers with 6.5" woofers go down to around a solid 60Hz (and sound quite full all by themselves in an average sized room, with music anyway) so I always recommend at least that size if the person can do it.

4. braden

braden Agent

just to jump in here but phil how do you like your jbl's with the svs??

I am getting my first HT this month and thought the following would be good..

Yamaha 5760
    JBL all around
    E30's
    E35 center
    with either SVS or HSU sub

any suggestions?? I have budget of about $1800.00

5. Ivan M

Ivan M Auditioning

I just came back from auditioning some different speakers, some thoughts; Definitely go for the E30s over the E20s, I found that the E30s had a far cleaner sound, nice bass response and are fairly even right through to the high freq, Athena isn't too bad of a speaker if you're extremely limited by budget, but are too bright for my ears, and the polk rTi10 are a wicked set of speakers, very nice separation and CLEAN sound. If I had the money to drop today I would've bought those without a thought! One question, has anybody compared the JBL E50s to the axiom m22Ti, I'm leaning toward the JBLs (can find them for much less than the axioms) but I've heard many good things about the M22Ti to consider them, although I really don't like buying anything sight unheard.

Ivan Merida

6. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

I say get the E30s as well.

I have never heard the Axioms, but I have E50s for my surrounds & really like the way they sound. They would actually make great front speakers.

just my .02

7. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

E30's. I bought some not too long ago. They sounded way better and bigger than the 20's to my ears. I'm very happy with my E30's.

brad cook

8. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Peter,

One more thing, where are you shopping that the 30's cost $120 more than the 20's?! I got my E30's at www.bhphotovideo.com. They have the E30's for $149 per pair with free shipping. The E20's are $111.95 shipped.

brad cook