E! True Hollywood Story: JAWS !!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I wanted to watch this so bad, but my DirecTV feed for E! and MTV was hosed last night for some reason. [​IMG]
    Both channels kept pixelating and the sound kept cutting and out. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

It was interesting, especially how they were a little more "truthful" concerning Robert Shaw. A few new things not in the DVD doc, like TV interview footage of Shaw, but nothing new under the sun.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Didn't see the program (no cable or sat at the moment). How do you mean "more truthful" about Robert Shaw? Curious. Thanks.

5. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Just that he was "blotto" (as one actor put it) most of the time. Apparently, the classic scene in the hold of the Orca where Quint recounts the tale of the U.S.S. Indianapolis was shot a few times because Shaw literally embarrassed himself by being so drunk. The second day of shooting, though, he nailed it.

Interesting show!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sounds interesting, yes. Would like to have seen it.

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

As it's on E! it should be on many more times. It was sort of sad seeing them cover the subsequent sequels and how pathetic they were; in fact, JAWS 2 is virtually classic in comparison.

8. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Perhaps someday someone will "reimagine" Jaws using the script they originally intended to shoot (until the shark kept malfunctioning) and state-of-the art special effects. What's the general span, 30 years, like with "POTA" and "Psycho"? Maybe shoot for summer 2006. [​IMG]
    Or given Spielberg's penchant for "revisionist filmmaking," maybe he'll update the effects in the original himself.
    I also got a chuckle out of Lorraine Gary's admission that she had a crush on Robert Shaw that lasted "about two days."

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

CGI Great White? Not unless ILM gives it a shot, because the ones in DEEP BLUE SEA weren't that great. The mechanical ones looked all right, but once they went into the CGI it took me right out of the movie. Like they said in the show, if the shark worked the character developement probably would have suffered, since they needed that time to wait for the shark to work. Now it would probably be MUNCH MUNCH "we won't close the beaches" MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH!

11. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I recorded the E! special last night. I thought it was great. It mostly focused on the difficulties of production. The DVD documentary do not cover the problems with Dreyfuss and Shaw nearly as well as the E! documentary did. The vintage footage of Shaw and Dreyfuss was priceless. Dreyfuss saying that being in Jaws was a "mistake" is hilarious. The DVD documentary was a little more rosey than this one, as it never showed these aspects. How come the DVD documentary did not have that on-set interview footage?

12. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    He is a great actor, but he is so pompus it is embarassing. He is so pleased with himself in the retrospective interviews, it makes me want to puke. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

A friend of mine kept asking through the whole two hours, "where do you think 'Bruce' is now?" So at the end when they revealed the last mechanical shark is tied up between two palm trees in a junkyard, he was shocked. How could they just let a piece of history go to waste like that? My thought is that even if someone were to own this thing, where would they put it?

15. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

This is airing again on Thursday (6/13) at 4:30 ET.

16. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I guess I should clarify my earlier statement by mentioning 4:30 p.m. ET. Sorry.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Well, everyone agrees that Jaws the Revenge was a bad idea. But I've always thought the opening attack, of Sean Brody on the police boat, was one of the best attack sequences in the series. It's fast, violent, and all you see of the shark are the snapping jaws (probably why it worked so well). Of course, after starting on this high note the film promptly devolved into a steaming pile.
    Was the mechanical shark supposed to remote controlled at this point? It always seemed to be just floating...at an angle...rather than actually moving. [​IMG]

19. Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone Stunt Coordinator

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I spent part of the weekend with my DVD of "Jaws 2." In the 'production notes' was something I'd never heard before.

Apparently, after the first director, John Hancock (??) was fired from the picture, Steven Spielberg offered to take over provided that he could start from scratch and could add Richard Dreyfuss to the cast.

I'd always heard that Spielberg wanted nothing to do with "Jaws 2," and he apparently did decline the job before production. But I'd never heard that he offered to take over once the first director was fired. They didn't say why the producers declined his offer? Or what his thoughts were for "Jaws 2" with Richard Dreyfuss?

Anyone with any more insight into what might have been a Spielberg sequel? I've always thought "Jaws 2" was a pretty good sequel, but now I'm wondering what it would have been like if Spielberg had directed it.