What's new

e-tailers that advertise early delivery - what's the legal stance? (1 Viewer)

mark_d

Second Unit
I think my last post got deleted - probably because it had too much info.
I'll keep the question a little more subtle this time! :)
I have ordered a fairly anticipated DVD from on online retailer that boasts the title as being in stock and shipping.
They are not even remotely subtle about it - if you head to their website, you're welcomed not with their homepage but a full page animated ad for the movie.
Are street dates a gentlemen's agreement type affair or are they enforcable in any way?
Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What online retailers do on their sites is not HTF's concern but we "do not" want any retailer mentioned by name that breaks street dates on this forum. Reason being is that breaking street dates benefits the members and that studios constantly monitors this forum. Studios seriously frowns on retailers breaking street dates and HTF's management doesn't want to contribute to retailers getting into trouble for doing so, even if the retailer advertises on their sites that they do break street dates.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

HenrikTull

Second Unit
But me wonders why the studio has this policy? They can't be loosing money by doing this? Can they?
confused.gif

------------------
A Little Slice of Heaven

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
It has been said that it is mostly due to statistics, if the release occurs on the same day all over the states, the total sales will be higher for that title, than if the sales are silently spread out over several weeks beforehand. If noone breaks street date "everybody" will buy the title the same week, thus the title will score higher on the bestseller lists.
------------------
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's illegal. The studio can choose to not give them product.
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
As far as I'm aware, the only legal issue is that maintaining street date is probably part of the distribution agreement, so it would be a breach of their contract with the distributor. I believe that the reason that its frowned upon is that if store a releases a title before store b does then b loses out and gets really angry with the distributor for not getting their stock to them as quickly. A definite release date puts all shops on a level footing and gives the distributor more time to deliver, as its no longer necessary to ship all copies on the same day to their clients.
Clear as mud?

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
How do studios feel about e-tailers who will ship before the street date. Many will ship the Friday before street date so the product arrives on street date. Do they frown upon this too?
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How do studios feel about e-tailers who will ship before the street date. Many will ship the Friday before street date so the product arrives on street date. Do they frown upon this too?
I doubt this would be of concern to the studios or distributors, since the end result is the same -- the consumer has the title in-hand on street date. This is no different than shipping from the distributor to a retail store on Friday so that it can be on the shelves on Tuesday.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
What online retailers do on their sites is not HTF's concern but we "do not" want any retailer mentioned by name that breaks street dates on this forum. Reason being is that breaking street dates benefits the members and that studios constantly monitors this forum. Studios seriously frowns on retailers breaking street dates and HTF's management doesn't want to contribute to retailers getting into trouble for doing so, even if the retailer advertises on their sites that they do break street dates.
How do the studios feel about this? Doesn't the HTF have a good relationship with most of them? Wouldn't it be in our best interest to make them happy by helping them crack down on street date violators?

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Carl,
I would think if you wanted to help crack down, it would be better to contact the studios directly or through a private message to the ones who participate in the forum. Posting for everyone to see will just get many more people to get their copy early from that store.
Of course, I am not trying to speak for HTF staff. Just a thought on why this would not be in the best interest of the studio.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It's not illegal, but the studios do have some recourse. In my experience they've punished street date violators by shipping them product late intentionally. Usually the next big title.
Also, there's a program called co-op dollars, where the studio shares in some of the advertising costs for that store to promote that title. If a store breaks street dates or advertises below MAP (minimum advertised price) they refuse those co-op dollars on the advertising.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
quote: Posting for everyone to see will just get many more people to get their copy early from that store.[/quote]
Fair enough, but no HTF administrator has ever said, "don't name retailers that break street date, because we don't want anyone to know how to get DVDs early." It's always "we like to get DVDs early, so don't want the studios to know who breaks street date." I'm not in the position, of course, but if I was a studio rep who frequented the HTF, I'm not sure I'd like too see the forum actively supporting retailers that break their agreement or contract (or whatever they have, I'm no expert on the subject) with my studio.
Anyway, I'm just curious. Thanks for the reply.
[Edited last by Carl Fink on October 03, 2001 at 07:59 PM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Though I don't know the legal stance, I know that the reason for the release date and not to break it is that it gives one company over another to have an unfair advantage in sales. Think about it, if company x sells the Phantom Menance now, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE that shops online or around that local area *b&m*) will buy from them. During this, Company Y waits for the actual release date and possible loses sales. Now that's unfair to the other companies and prolly doesn't promote fair business tactics. Plus, say Company X knows they're selling early, they may jack the price up knowing without a doubt that you can't buy that product anywhere else. That's unfair to us.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Users who are viewing this thread