E-tailer with best record of on-time delivery of "pre-orders"?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary Cliff, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

I am planning to pre-order a DVD, and I have to have it by the release date (actually, a few days before the release date would be even better). I know that some e-tailers ship so as to coordinate actual delivery with the release date, and I was wondering which ones have the best record of on-time delivery. Thanks!

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

3. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

DVD Empire has always shipped my orders on the Friday before the Tuesday release. I would always pick Priority Mail, or 2nd Day Air, and generally I would get the items Monday. As long as you don't use their free shipping for four or more items it's a pretty good bet you'll get it on time from them.

4. PeterKelly

PeterKelly Agent

back in the day dvdexpress.com used to be right on the day of release. That place has since gone downhill. Amazon.com has delivered on the day of release (but it is expensive) I can't speak for DVDEmpire, but i constantly use that store to check the backs of upcoming releases.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Digital Eyes almost always gets discs to me by release date if I use Priority Mail; the free media mail shipping doesn't necessarily but is still pretty close. If I'm buying something online where time is of the essence, they're the ones I choose and I'd expect that's generally true in the eastern US. If you're in the West that may not be the case.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Lasers Edge
    will probably get you your preordered discs sooner
    than any of the etailers listed here.

They are also a sponsor of this forum, and we
    kindly request that if this forum has been of
    value to you to please support our sponsors.

I promise that anyone that orders from Lasers
    Edge
    will be very happy about the way they
    receive their advance orders.

8. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I'll second Digital Eyes as far as speed goes. I went back to ordering with them a few months ago and, out of the 33 discs I've ordered from them in that time, 31 of them were shipped out anywhere between the Tuesday - Friday before release date. It would depend on the delivery method chosen as far as when they would arrive.

One of the discs was shipped out the Monday prior to release date and one of the discs I cancelled because it wasn't shipped at all. I just sent them an e-mail to check to see if that order may have been accidentally set to "ship complete" since another disc from that order is the only disc that streets next week that has not yet shipped.

I also like that they don't make you pay to ship back damaged discs - that hasn't always been my experience with online retailers. I get ALOT of loose discs (from any e-tailer, not just DE). I went back to brick and mortar stores for awhile just to make returns quicker and easier. But, then I got tired of the Tuesday scavenger hunt for catalog/low profile titles.

9. David S. Peterson

I agree with Digital Eyes. Very good at shipping preorders on time. They had problems when they moved several months back which I ranted about at the time. They have since returned to the service level that I had come to expect from them over the years.

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If you really must have it on a release date, go with an overnight service, like FedEx.

Priority is great, but shit does happen. If there happens to be a pile of extra mail between you and any etailer that weekend, it could easily be Wednesday when you get it.

The USPS Saturday and Monday deliveries are just great, but NOT guaranteed.

Glenn

11. Grant

Grant Agent

I've had good experiences with buy.com. I think this all has a lot to do with where their distribution center is relative to where you live because it looks like they mail the pre-ordered DVDs 2 days before the release date, and if it only takes one day to get to you, then you'll have it early. If you live in rural Alaska, for example, you are not going to get anything by the release date.

BTW, I've been getting the pre-ordered DVDs on time from buy.com even though I chose the free "super saver" shipping (which they say on the checkout page can take 10-15 days to get to you!).

12. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I've been ordering from DVD Empire since DVDPlanet started crashing down and have been very satisfied. My preoders are shipped out on Friday and with Priority shipping is always on my doorstep on or before street date. Their online Preorder Manager is a wonderful tool as well.