E.T. Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Gido, Aug 14, 2005.

1. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

I realize that the 2 disc Limited Collectors Edition of 20th E.T has been OOP for about a year. However, I was able to obtain an older copy of the DVD via Ebay (although it was misrepresented [​IMG] , what a suprise). I cannot find any info on the disc that I received and was hoping that someone here might be able to identify what I have received.

The front cover has the words "Extraordinary! -A O Scott, NY TIMES 2002" across the top. Above the line "A Steven Spielberg Film" are some Japanese characters and "L'Extraterrestre" is written below the words "The Extra-Terrestrial". Also the DTS logo is prominent on the front cover.

On the back cover, the plot summery is written twice, once in English & once in Japanese. Also, the special features are written twice in 2 separate boxes, the left one in English and the right one, I believe, in French.

The disc itself has E.T. written in English, but everything else is written in Japanese. It is a Region 1 disc and when played, the menu says 20th Anniversary Edition [​IMG] . The UPC code is 0 25389 12576 2 and does not show up in DVD Profiler.

What the hell do I have?

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Sounds like a bootleg to me.

3. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

The label on the DVD looks legit and it doesn't look like any burned copy that I have ever seen. Also, if the outside label contained in the case is a boot, it's one of the best I've ever seen. I'll try and put up some scans later.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    It came from eBay; it has English, Japanese and French writing on the case; and it's Region 1?

I think you can figure that one out all by yourself.

DJ

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    John,
    it unfortunately sounds like you have either a bootleg, or you ended up with some sort of mismatched legit disc that's in the wrong case. I can't imagine a case like the one your describing actually being the real thing, though.

I would contact ebay and explain what happened, contacting the seller probably wouldn't do any good because i'm betting that you wouldn't get a reply.

I'm curious, though, I still see E.T. for sale all over in my area, not the gift set but the 2 disc version, is it not available in stores any longer where you live?

6. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

It sounds like one those Hong Kong "import" dvds that are all over Ebay. They can look pretty close to legit R1 editions.

7. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Beware of Ebay. If you can't find an authentic copy in a store near you, look for reputable dealers selling merchandise on e.g. Amazon.com. I recently acquired a sealed copy of the E.T. gift set (with a hardcover book and soundtrack CD) for less than $35 + shipping.

(There is no DTS on the theatrical cut in the gift set, though, so if that's important to you, then look for the two-disc version.)

8. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

I have been looking for the 2 Disc Collectors 20th Anniversary Edition and there are none to be found in my area. I would gladly pay for a legitimate copy. Also, all of the major on-line suppliers (Amazon, BB, CC, Deep Discount, DVD Planet, Buy.com, etc) ALL list it as OOP.

If anyone can still obtain this disc in a local B&M shop and would be willing to pick one up, I would gladly cover the cost (within reason), S&H, and maybe a little "for your trouble" expense.

9. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I think universal is re-releasing E.T. later this month or next month. its the single disc version I think.

JACOB

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Universal is re-releasing a single-disc version next week, in fact. I do not know if it is the "anniversary" version of the movie, or the original version.

- Steve

11. BrettB

BrettB Producer

It's the inferior 2002 Anniversary cut.

12. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

Again, if anyone can still obtain the 2-Disc Collectors Edition in a local B&M shop and would be willing to pick one up, I would gladly cover the cost (within reason), S&H, and maybe a little "for your trouble" expense.

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I'm afraid that I don't see the problem here, beyond returning the questionable copy to its eBay seller.

As of this moment, there are 31 copies available on Amazon.

RAH

14. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

Robert,

Thanks for the Amazon info. Normally, I don't think to go to them for DVD purchases. I just ordered one of the "new" copies from them.

Also, I don't think it is worth the trouble of trying to deal with the bogus copy from Ebay as the seller is no longer a "registered" user. Guess I'll just chalk it up as a $12.00 lesson in life. [​IMG]