E.T. Laser Disc Box Set Revisited

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

With all the hubbub of the pending re-release of Steven Spielberg's E.T., and the controversy surrounding some of the changes that he is said to be making, I thought I would revisit this film. I purchased the beautiful box set some time ago and never got around to watching it until this weekend. In addition to the film there are also a number of behind the scenes pieces and a CD of John Williams' soundtrack.
    This is one of the cleanest LD transfers I have ever seen. Being in the CAV format likely contributes to this, the downside that it is spread over five sides and requires a couple of disc exchanges. Colors are nicely saturated. Contrast is good, with impressively deep black levels. Detail is quite sharp. There was little edge enhancement to my eyes, certainly nothing that distracted me. Audio is Dolby Surround and is very good (although my personal favorite DS soundtrack is still from the THX Star Wars releases). Nice, full, and rich with good dynamics (although certainly not as low as many modern or digital tracks) with surprisingly good rear channel detail.
    For those who have laser, do not yet have this set, and who are interested in having what might be the last representation of the original work you might want to track it down. You won't be disappointed.
    FYI, equipment includes a Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player via Tributaries S-Video direct to a Toshiba 50HX70 RPTV (calibrated grayscale, picture levels adjusted to Video Essentials laser disc).
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I guess you didn't hear that both the new and the original version will be on the DVD.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I couldn't agree with you more, Jay. I just purchased the four disc ET box set off ebay two weeks ago once word came that the future DVD may not include the original version. It is a beautiful set. Great transfer and great sound. I was highly impressed with the quality of this laserdisc. The amount of extras is also very impressive. I just watched the part with John Williams regarding the score yesterday. I just got into laserdisc, and this was only my fourth movie (the other three are the original star wars trilogy). Now word is that the ET dvd will include the original version, and I hope it does. However, I am very glad to own this laserdisc. To anyone else out there who has a chance to find one, do not hesitate to get it. You won't be disappointed. And if anyone has any good suggestions on laserdisc sights, please shoot them my way. I plan on getting more lasers, especially a sealed DTS Titanic.

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

7. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

I too purchased this box set (right before Laser Visions Direct closed up shop) but didn't get around to watching it for almost a year. Being so used to DVD now, my few LDs always look a little disappointing when I play them, but this one is quite good.
    There have been some wonderful DVD special editions (Fight Club, 2001), but there is just something so nice and, well, "substantial" about an elaborate laserdisc box set. Even with the DVD coming I'll hang on to this, even if I stop watching it, along with my Star Wars Definative Collection and Tron Archive Collection sets.

8. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I too watched the box set recently. AWESOME video quality and the audio was pretty good too.
    Thumbs up!