E.T. gun removal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nelson Au, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Sorry to start another E.T. thread.

I thought I'd place this here to see if this is true. I heard this on the radio this morning on a local talk show hosted by Ronn Owens. He read a news report that said the reason why Steven Spielberg has replaced the guns with radios was because Drew Barrymore was having a hard time with the guns and is going through a divorce now. So he spent $100,000 to digitally remove the guns to make her happy.

I read here that he did it because of his personal feelings about guns. Timing seems off here and it's likely nonsense news.

Nelson

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Yes, this is nonsense news and if I were you, I'd stop listening to that talk show, as well. [​IMG] Unless, they were just joking, they just lost all credibility.
    The decision to take out the gun was made by Spielberg years ago.
    ~Edwin

3. Rain

Rain Producer

Perhaps they should consider digitally removing Tom Green from all subsequent prints of Charlie's Angels. [​IMG]

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I think that all morning radio talk show hosts should be removed.

/Mike

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I knew that posting this message would provide fodder for you guys to generate some good comments.

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Actually the free Urban UK paper, the Metro reported the same thing this morning so it's obviously come from somewhere. It didn't mention a divorce I don't think - just that he removed them because of her feelings about guns. Interesting that it should suddenly surface...

7. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

All I know is Spielberg loses several notches of respect for this change. Why he felt it important is utterly beyond me, much less why he felt it was important to negotiate with the studio over it and spend money on effects to make it happen.

I still don't have all sorts of titles on my shelf Spielberg worked on ... that he's been working on THIS ... man Steve, I expected better. I don't mind the Gweedo/Solo shoot-first thing from EpisodeIV, but this torques me off.

8. Rain

Rain Producer

David, don't freak out too much. It has been confirmed that both the new version and the original theatrical version will be made available when it comes out on DVD. Assuming they are telling the truth, this is good enough for me. [​IMG]

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

10. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Spielberg was quoted in Dark Horizons awhile ago as saying that he removed the guns because he felt bad about putting the guns in to begin with. He went on to say that no one really understood the effect of guns back then. Which has got to be one of the dumbest statements I've heard in years.

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Back in the 80's, we didn't know smoking was bad for you, either, Timmy...

12. Paul Mason

Paul Mason Stunt Coordinator

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think Steven just realized after the Rodney King incident that billy clubs, flashlights, and radios were clearly the more popular choice for beating down escaping criminals, and that no self-respecting cop would waste time just shooting these kids when he could beat them within an inch of their life instead.
    [​IMG] my sarcasm at it's finest
    Perception of what is "bad" is truly funny to me, the way it shifts to the current trendy "bad" thing. I'm not saying let's all buy guns, but you know when I was a kid in the 70's I grew up on shows like Starsky and Hutch where people got shot all the time, good and bad. Didn't make me want to shoot people. Plus, don't Scully and Mulder carry guns when chasing aliens?
    It's all just about what is currently the trend. I blame the school shootings (which in turn I blame on copy cats who see the NEWS). But don't worry, thanks to that kid in Tampa we will soon have a different problem to worry about. Just think about all the editing they will have to do to Explorers to not show those kids flying around possibly crashing into things. Or the opening sequence to Pearl Harbor...
    Anyway, my point was that Steven and GL have a case of the guilts over showing guns at kids or humans getting shot (stormtrooper changes in SEs). Do you think that when Fincher gets older and starts to feel guilty that he will adjust Fight Club to pillow fighting. [​IMG]
    "The room smelled of day old sweat...and down pillow feathers."[​IMG]

14. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

So now the kids are riding their bikes and flying away from FBI agents holding walkie talkies. Next Speilberg will want to cut out the whole flying bicycle scene because bike injuries are quite common. Kids might try to make their bikes fly.

15. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Ok, this has been posted before but I love this joke so I’m going to write it here again. I don’t remember who said it first.
    In the new revised version the FBI agents shout at the kids:
    - STOP! OR I WILL THROW MY WALKIE TALKIE AT YOU! [​IMG]

16. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Did they digitally put helmets on the children when they are riding the bikes? I'm not sure if it's every state, but in New Jersey, kids need to wear helmets when riding bikes.

What's next? Will Speilberg change Poltergiest so that instead of havoc wreaking ghosts, it's just a bunch of elderly relatives who stop by for a visit and when they won't leave, the family hires a midget to get them out?

Matt