E.T. Audio Problem - 2 Disc Set - Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Wh, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Brian_Wh

Brian_Wh Agent

I apologize if this has been covered already, but I was not able to find this specific discussion in previous threads. I recently got around to watching the 1982 theatrical version of E.T. from start to finish using the DTS track. At the end when E.T. is about to leave, there was a horrible audio "flutter" that lasts maybe 3-5 seconds. It was right after E.T. says, "I'll be right here" (around the 1:48:08 mark, I think). There may have been a couple other minor flubs, but this one was undeniable. Checked the DD 5.1 track, as well as the Spanish and French 2.0 tracks, and all three of them are fine at that same spot. Has anyone else had this problem or a similar one? Any suggestions on what I should do? In other threads I found the Universal Home Video 1-888# regarding the Back to Future problems, but haven't called yet. I could strictly use the DD 5.1 mix, but I like to use DTS whenever possible and just plain don't like having a flawed disc.

Thanks.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

No problems with mine.

3. Brian_Wh

Brian_Wh Agent

Exchanged twice and both replacement copies have done the same thing! I was able to test the DTS track on a friend's setup over the weekend and the audio was fine on his. Problem must be in my system somewhere. I have a Panasonic RV31(?) DVD player connected to Onkyo 575X receiver via optical, and Polk RM6600 sub/sat system. Strange, because I've never had any audio or video problems with any of the discs I've played, but I suppose there's a first time for everthing. I'll just have to stick with the DD5.1 track.