E.T. "alterations"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I did a search for E.T. and saw that the only active discussion about the film was a B.O. thread.
    I just saw the new TV commercials for the E.T. re-release and was surprisingly irritated by it. As the voice-over guy mentions "new effects" there's a scene where Elliot is opening a can of soda next to an obviously CGI E.T. (I believe this scene is indeed from the original film.)
    And don't get me started on the whole "terrorist" dub issue. It's nauseating.
    I know I'm not the only one who dislikes these revisions. What I'd like to have is a full listing of changes that have been done to E.T. since its original 1982 release.

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I don't care for them either. And some of Spielberg's excuses for making the changes seem as silly as some people think of Lucas' reasons. I prefer the originals of Star Wars and E.T. Why do they have to take the guns out of the hands of the men in space suits? I heard Spielberg saying that the guns weren't crucial to the film and he'd always had an idea for walky talkies. I wonder.

I personally don't mind updating effects, even with the addition of CGI. I liked a lot of the CGI effects updating in SW. However, I don't remember anywhere in E.T. that needed sprucing up at all. I thought everything was fine. But I really don't like altering a story completely. It changes the films and usually disrupts the timing and pacing of the films.

I guess it can be good. But major changes should be avoided. As for a list of the changes, all I know about are replacing the guns with walky talkies, and the beer spilling scene with the CGI E.T. I also believe they added a scene where a CGI ET is running through the forest as his spaceship is taking off. The spaceships I believe have also been updated with CGI.

3. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

4. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Speaking of "E.T" dialogue changes...

I want to know if this rumor has any substance to it.

The rumor is that they've hired a voice-over artist to change the classic insult "Penis Breath" into a less offensive term.

Is this true?

Sincerely,

John "It's one of the better insults of our modern time" Kilduff

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

6. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    "Penis breath" has now been changed to "vagina breath." Thank you for watching.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It is supervised by the director...

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink