What's new

E-mailed my local ISF fella......questions, I have. (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
So I emailed him and he said this:

---------
They [Panasonics] are typically
pretty far off as far as color accuracy goes. The ISF sets the pricing, and
is as follows:

For just a basic ISF calibration of a rear projection set. This does not
include adjusting the grayscale / white balance in the service menu like a
full ISF calibration does. This is the most common calibration that most of
my clients have done. Includes convergence adjust, proper color adjust to
NTSC standards, testing of circuits in the set, pre/post calibration
reports.
-----------

okay, it was my understanding that the basic calibration DID include the grayscale. As far as basic calibration goes, does this guy offer what I want??

Thanks,
Brent

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I think he means that basic calibration is just using the VE or AVIA disc and setting user controls. You don't need to pay anyone to do that.

ISF rates for grayscale calibration are:

direct view tubes = $225
RPTV = $275
FPTV = $325

additional scanrates/grayscales = +$125

There is no such thing as a basic ISF without doing grayscale. Certainly no price structure associated with that. Which means ... it must be free!!!! yes ... that's the ticket.

A full ISF calibration is grayscale and user controls with some convergence and minor image centering issues ... maybe.

You should note that most of the internet calibrators are not just ISF calibrators ... it's ISF plus a whole lot more.

I'd still think of ISF grayscale as pretty much just your oil change.

The full meal deal calibration as many like to call it is what you'd call the full tune up compared to their oil change.

Proceed with caution ... based on what you have stated ... expect to pay not much more than $275.

Regards

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

additional note ....

Calibration of the Panasonic 47 or 53 or 56" units require the calibrator to have a HD signal generator as well. They need it to properly set 480P grayscale. If they don't have it ... you will get your 480i set and they will walk away.

Regards

Brent_H

Second Unit
Michael:

Thanks for the info, I will be sure to clear that up before I have him do any work....

~Brent

Brent_H

Second Unit
Michael:

okay I emailed the local ISF guy back, and this is what he said:

If you are real concerned about having the proper grayscale set I
would recommend the full ISF calibration because it is typically not
possible to set it correct without going into the service menus to adjust.
The user menus are not able to do anything but basic black level control.

----

it seems as though he is not giving me what most ISF people do for a basic calibration....sholdn't he be including the grayscale???

argh...

thanks,
Brent

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I'd be curious about what he charges to do ... essentially VE or AVIA. (the proverbial ... "nothing.")

Be careful.

Regards

Brent_H

Second Unit
Michael: I emailed him back....
Kraig:
I did a little looking around at some other ISF calibrators and found and came upon Video Calibrations and Consulting in Apple Valley. Their "basic" calibration includes the following (taken directly from their webpage):
Basic ISF calibration includes the precise, correct setting of:
·Black level (for the viewing environment)
·White level (for the device and the environment)
·Color level
·Hue/tint
·Edge enhancement and colorimetry (color temperature and grey scale to 6500 degrees Kelvin as per NTSD broadcast standard)
A report of these results plus before and after convergence, overscan and post-calibration light outputs tests is included. System connections, hook-ups and viewing environment enhancements are reviewed. (Factory level convergence and geometry corrections are done at an additional charge when required.)
--from http://www.hdtvguy.com/faqs.html#faq06
From my understanding, basically what you describe as your basic calibration, I could do with the Video Essentials or AVIA discs....My main concern with the service you offer is no grayscale testing for the basic calibrations, which after talking to some friends on the Home Theater Forum (some of whom are trained ISF calibrators), and from the example I showed above, are standard. I just want to make sure I am truly getting what I am paying for. Otherwise I will spend the $35 and get the AVIA disc and call it a day.
Regards,
Brent
=====
I hope I'm not being too harsh :) I will post his reponse when I get one heheh

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The HDTVguy is master P.B. a well know calibrator that travels between the twin cities and arizona ...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks