E-MAIL Question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DelRay, Nov 21, 2005.

1. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

Hoping to get a little help here. I'm trying to get a picture from my adobe photoshop and send it from my hotmail account. Everytime I send one from my hotmail to someone, the pic is enormous. Is there a way to minimize the pic so it will fit better. Thanks.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

sure, there's a few things you can do to reduce the file size of the image. These will all reduce the image quality so make sure to make a cop and do this all to the copy.

First you can reduce the resolution of the image the fewer pixels the smaller the file and this will make the biggest change in file size. What to reduce it to kinda depends on what your wanting to do with the image. 1600x1200 is generally the largest that you'll need while 800x600 is good for showing off some simple stuff to friends.

Another thing you can do is save the file as a jpeg and you can adjust the image quality. Photoshop will let you be pretty exacting about that so you can take your time to get a good compromise.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

When you get the image sized down to a resolution that is better suited for emailing, click File/Save for Web and save the file at approx 50% as a jpg. That will cut the size way down.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    this may be referring to file size or image dimensions. or both. if it's just file size you are worried about, what mike said will significantly cut down the file size.

if it's image dimensions you need to make smaller, go to image/image size (i think, havent used photoshop in a while), and reduce the dimensions from there. 800 is a decent number for width, and the length should change automatically. also, if the image's dots per inch, or dpi is about 72, change it to 72 in the same panel. if the people you are sending the images to are only going to be viewing them on the screen, this is another good way to reduce the file size.

CJ

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Can Photoshop export to a PNG file? I use GIMP and usually use PNG files. PNG offers very good compression that is lossless, unlike jpg.

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

There's also a slick Powertoy tool from Microsoft called Image Resizer that adds "resize pictures" to your right click.

You have 4 resolutions to choose from. 640X480...800x600...1024x768...and 240x320 for hand held's. Default is to make resized copies within the same folder or you can choose to resize the original file. It's really nice for resizing a folder full of pics by selecting multiple images.

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yeah it can, PNG is pretty universal. i wish JPG wasnt as well known, PNG is a superior format.

unless you are a digital photography professional, there's no reason to pay for editing software. gimp has 90% of photoshop's power for free. when you have $600 and need the very best on the planet, buy photoshop. everyone else should download gimp for free.

CJ

8. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

OK, I'll give it a shot. I'll try some different stuff. Computers have a way of pissing me off though.:b