E-Cinema with Major Updates!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Erik Farstad, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Well...I stayed up way too late and updated my site to what is now currently in the theater! Check it all out if you want by following the link in my sig! [​IMG]

E

2. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

That was an amazing journey through your website. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your Theater. Very well thought out and designed. SIMPLY AMAZING! Going through your website was like experiencing the whole evolution of your cinema along with you ...... blood sweat dust and just the sheer excitement of it all. I absolutely cannot wait till I get my projector all set-up.

Couple questions.
    How far are you sitting away from the screen?
    How far is the projector from the screen?

Again congrats!

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Like I said before that is one of the best HT I have ever seen. I don't think it can get any better. Let your wife know she did a wonderful job on the curtains. |Curtains are my next project still looking for ideas. Do you plan to do anything else or are you finished for a while?

4. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I cant get over what a FANTASTIC job you did on your room!

I had a couple questions so I sent you a pm. One thing I forgot to ask though is did the carpet company you went with tack on any additional charges for your stage and riser? I had 2 companies out so far and both of them tacked on additional fees because of my riser, stage and overall layout of my room [​IMG].

5. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

(wipes drool from mouth)

Fantastic Erik! [​IMG] You are without doubt THE Man! My wife Suzanne says if I go down there to visit you and watch a movie, that she must come along too [​IMG] She was as fascinated by the journey you so well documented as I was of the E Cinema!

Cheers,
    Dan

6. Erik Farstad

Thanks Mark. There is seating at about 10' and 14', the projector is at 10'6" or so. It works just great and picture quality is amazing...screen shots to follow.

David: I'll pass the kind words onto my wife...and thanks!

Brian: Appreciate it buddy...on the carpet install. I just paid extra for the 18" or so of black carpet around the edge of the room because they had to "glue" it together to the red which takes a bit more time. Total I think it added maybe $150 to the bill...all labor of course. Don't let carpet people take you for a ride...risers are JUST LIKE stairs (just larger) so make sure they quote you fair. Some companies try and take advantage of "unique" room and therefore charge "unique and outrageous" prices...call their bluff and have them explain why its more!

Thanks Dan...and you bet, you and your wife are both welcome!

Have a great one fellas! [​IMG]

E

7. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Look great! My drywallers are just about done (so far the only portion we contracted out). I was just curious why you taped and mudded the seams and screws in your wall? I'm going to have my ceiling done, but am going to use acoustic caulk on my walls since they'll be covered in fabric.

8. Erik Farstad

Chad: Thanks on the kind words. I guess I mudded them because I'm blonde and didn't have the forsight to see that perhaps I didn't have to! LOL...just when you think you've got it all figured out...there's a better way! Sounds like your approach is excellent...and yes, there could be a book written on what to do and not to do the next time! [​IMG]

E

9. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    I have been following your HT project and you have really made a great job![​IMG]

10. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Erik,

Good to see your updates.

[edited for clarity]
    Is there a code issue with that buried outlet behind the projector mount??

Also, just a preference--- I try to separate power and A/V cable runs to reduce interference.
    [end edit]

11. Erik Farstad

Thanks Mike, but as long as an outlet occurs within a box and has a face plate it can be behind an access panel such as my projector mount base. The same goes for spas in bathrooms, for they are wired just like I show and the box is usually accessable via a removeable panel or wall. Now had I not put the outlet in a box or put a plate on, that would be a no-no...but from what I was told my my electrical inspector, this was ok. As long as someone has access to or can see the outlet, even if it's behind a door or panel, it's ok...at least for Washington

The reason for the box and plate is in case the outlet "sparks" and yes then it could cause a fire.

E

12. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

Erik,
    I went through your whole website about three days ago (took me about an hour) and I thought it was awesome them. You could write the book "Home Cinema For Dummies" (It's pretty much all ready written on your web page). Looks great man. It's something I'm hoping I can do when I own my own house (in about 10 years).

Keep us posted.

13. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

**correction**
    I thought it was awesome then, the it got even better.

Just thought I should clarify that.

14. Erik Farstad

Thanks Lee...I'll keep the books to the pros though! [​IMG]

E

15. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

Home Cinemas For The Pros***

16. Erik Farstad

LOL...to be honest this site as well as others is where I gathered a lot of my ideas, passion and drive to get the theater completed! There are so many theaters that fellow HTF memebers have...so thank YOU all for inspiring me!

E

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Erik man.....I'm at a loss for words. I'm just so impressed that I don't know what to do. I must say that you have the most helpful step by step site I have ever seen. It's helped me improve on my own theater(rope light channel). I salute you my friend. You've done everything that I wanted to do in my own theater. I wanted to recess my tv, I wanted motorized theater curtains, I pretty much wanted everything that you've done. I bet it looks and sounds amazing in there.

Man I wish you were my neighbor, your wife would hate me, because I would be over your house so much you'd think we were room mates. Then I'd have you over my house the rest of the time showing me how to do it right.

My goodness, congratulations man, it turned out really great. Thanks for taking the extra step of snapping pictures from start to finish and sharing it with the world, it's TRULY appreciated.

18. Erik Farstad

Thanks LaMarcus! I just wish I was more "ontop of thinks" earlier in the process because I took much less pictures and didn't detail out things as much. I plan on going back to the earlier pages and adding some more detail on how things were done though! If you're ever in the Seattle/Tacoma area...we'll have to hook up for sure! [​IMG]

E

19. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

20. Erik Farstad

Mike, no problem. Further...I agree with trying to keep power and A/V cords separate, like you mentioned, but I didn't want either showing so put them both through the projector pipe/mount! :b

E