E-Bay morons

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin M, May 18, 2005.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I was bidding on the game Gothic II for $8.99 as my high price because you can buy this game for $14.00 tax included...S&H would raise the price well beyond this and it wouldn't be worth it....two idiots got into a minor bidding war and raised the price to $16.50 without S&H ....why the hell do these morons do that? Are their lives so devoid of meaning that they stake their egos on piddling little "victories" like this?[​IMG]

Apart from that theory it doesn't make any sense to me.

2. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Um....because someone outbid you on an auction, "they" are idiots?

Keep browsing, dont let it get to you.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Don't underestimate proxy shill bidding, either.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The original post implies that the game is widely available for $14. The people who out-bid him bid $16.50+S/H and therefore he called them idiots. I'd say he's got a pretty good point. If you can buy a game at walmart for $14 and you buy it on ebay in a bidding war for ~$20 you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

5. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I saw an auction for a Wal Mart Gift Card, valued at $100, sell for $101.50. Someone on Red Sox forum I belong to linked it because the winner's username was something along the lines of "nascarfan".

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Why would you auction a gift card? Would they also auction a $20 bill with a buy-now of $10? [​IMG] (Are there places in the world without Walmarts?)

And the lesson learned: buy Gothic at full retail and auction it for a profit. The marketplace isn't totally efficient.

7. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Bid snipers piss me off. On the last second, you're outbid by one cent! [​IMG]

- Colton

8. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

With regards to shill bidding, it can be reported to Ebay, and you can succesfully get people kicked - I did. The story was as follows: I was bidding on an item, and suddenly saw a zero-feedback bidder (whose account was created on the day the auction ended, not too bright) outbid me. After the auction ends I get a "second chance offer email", telling that the original buyer had retracted his bid. Now, since I was aware this was shill bidding, I emailed the buyer and told him I would pay the price, but he had to ship it for free, since he had raised the price himself. He wouldn't do that, and I simply reported the incident to Ebay. He reposted the auction, but two days after he was kicked and his account deleted from Ebay. Mission accomplished! [​IMG]

9. Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry Stunt Coordinator

IMHO many of these auctions are fixed between seller and shill.

Why would a seller advertise a starting bid of 9.99, on a item worth $700, and then someone starts to drive up the price.

You look at the bid history and it goes something like this; 10.00, 50.00, 125.00, 325.00, 400.00. etc., etc.

Many of these so called merchants take us for suckers.

One day this is going to backfire on Ebay big time.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Because they got it for free or cheap, and would rather have the cash? Get a $100 giftcard for $50, sell it for $90, you've made $40 profit to spend elsewhere.

11. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

And this couldn't just be normal buyer's maximum bids? You do realize that only max bids are shown in the bidding history?

But you're right, it's pretty pointless to start at 10$ if the item is worth several hundred, and that's also why shill bidding is in fact totally unnecessary. You can set a starting price, and a reserve as well. With those set right, you don't have to shill bid. And if the buyers never bid more than they're actually willing to pay, shill bidding would have no effect whatsoever...

12. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

A low starting bid will get more people looking at and bidding on your item resulting in a higher final bid. But it has to be an item that sells well, like a digital camera for instance. A quick look at completed sales for like items will usually tell you what yours will sell for.

13. Jim Sentry

If Bid history is showing the maximum bids then the bids should be more closely related.

For example;

I bid 100, then you bid 110, reasonable. But, instead you see people bidding 100, 250, 400, etc, etc.

These are probably shills just trying to up the price to a level the seller can accept.

Ebay was supposed to be a place for bargain finds, it's degrading into just another ripoff.

14. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Yep, I started a $250 HDTV receiver at $25. I had a ton of watchers right off the bat and it sold for a fair price. If I'd started it at $175, it either wouldnt have sold at all or it would have sold for $176.

15. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

I think you've got it backwards. The idea of entering your maximum bid is that you don't have to log on and bid again in small increments every time someone else bids on the item. You put a large amount in to begin with, and eBay automatically increases the current bid price with each succesive bid.

16. Jim Sentry

True low openings get people looking but explain how person B after seeing person A's bid of 100 decides to bid 200.

Either person B is an idiot or a shill.

What was the bid history on the item you sold.

17. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I dont think that many auctions are fixed. We all live in the same world, I have NO problem beleiving the former [​IMG]

18. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Thank you, that was my entire point.

As far as shills/scams go I can believe that a merchant would go on himself under a different account or get a partner to go on and boost the price of a product hoping for a impulse bidder to get into a bogus (and ridiculous IMO) bidding war in order to boost the price well beyond what it was worth to begin with.....I'm not this sort of person generally speaking, I set my max and that is what I am willing to pay.....life is enough of a struggle as it is without impulsively spending $200.45 on a genuine set of 1984 Steak & Shake Star Trek: The Search For Spock drinking glasses[​IMG]

I don't need to re-claim my childhood that damn much.
    ......but if you see that auction, drop me a line... [​IMG]

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Everyone needs toilet paper, underwear, and toothpaste. Selling a gift card for a household goods store below face value is throwing money away.

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well I sent the winner an e-mail asking (politely) why he would bid so high on a game that can be...etc. etc. He sent me an answer:

...well, assuming he's telling the truth (and I have no reason to doubt him) there's the answer.
    I just got back from the local game store and bought it for $14.25 with tax. I still say $22.50 is a bit much for something you can get for $14 but then again I don't live in the middle of nowhere.