Dyslexia, or as I origianlly wrote yDslexia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Hayes, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

My Father puts numbers backwords I put letters and words backwords. Doesn't help that my spelling isnt the best. I joke around about it but it is frustrating sometimes. I spend most of my time changing hwat I wrote (see what I mean:b ).

Does anyone else suffer with this and if so have you found anything that helps, besides medicine. I have searched the web but nothing has really helped. I am even considering seeing a doctor about it. Sometimes it can be really bad to the point were 50% of my words ahve the letters backwords. Its tough since I am working on being a published writter one day.

Anybody?

2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I have a problem when it comes to numbers but not letters. My math scores have always suffered as a result of my transposing digits. I don't do it if I'm using a calculator or computer, just when writing them out by hand like you have to on a test. 4s and 5s are especially bad.

Good luck seeking help. At least society now recognizes the problem which wasn't the case up until the last few years. I can't imagine how many kids went through the system labeled as "slow" just because they were dyslexic.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I only do this while typing. Even then the only word I do this to is the. Most of the time, I have to go back and correct it because I have typed teh. Go figure...
    Edited for typos.

4. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

I do it when i write with pen and paper, which is my preferred way.

5. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

I only do it when typing --- my brain gets ahead of my fingers and I type letters that I don't need yet
    Lesdyxia is a horrible disease [​IMG]
    [Robin Williams] Fudd Syndrome strikes again [/Robin Williams]

6. Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson Stunt Coordinator

When I was taking piano lessons, I could never get the hang of sight-reading music as I would tranpose notes around. That was the first hint. Next was the minor idiotic number transposes during math test. 45 -> 54 and 89 - >98. Ugh. So what did I do? Got my B.A. in Mathematics. I'm positive that I've got IDIOT tattoo'd on my forehead.
    Steve "Dyslexia and Math. 2 great things do DONT go well together." Peterson

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Nobody take this the wrong way, but if your cross-eyed and have dyslexia, can you see straight?

8. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I don't thing transposing letters or numbers is really classified as dyslexia. One of my scouts (yes I'm a scout leader [​IMG] ) is dyslexic. I've spoken to his parents about it so that I could learn more. They said that one of the problems of a dyslexic child is that they have no "inner voice" when they read. You know...usually when we read we "hear" a voice in our head as we "sound out" the words. So it seems there's much more to it than just transposing.
    I'm not dyslexic but I find myself transposing letters when I type all the time. My wife often transposes words when she speaks. I think both of these problems are from either trying to go too fast or scatter brains...you pick which causes which. [​IMG]

9. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

A friend of mine is dyslexic, and he did a study on it in college. He interviewed some kids. He said he showed one kid the word "sympathy" and asked the kid to write it. The kid wrote "orchestra." When he read "sympathy," he saw it as "symphony," and then his brain turned that into "orchestra" when his hand tried to write it. Having a problem like that would certainly make school much more difficult.

10. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Boy, I thought I was going crazy. I guess I am not alone on this.[​IMG]

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I outpace my fingers when typing all the time. The teh problem is the most common mistake in my typing, although I usually know when I've done it. I've got some other common ones, which invariably involve rearranging the i's or o's in 'ities' (as in abilities) or 'ous' (as in monstrous).
    The teh thing is so common that it has become part of the lexicon for online gaming.

12. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

13. PaulG

PaulG Stunt Coordinator

My wife struggled through high school. Found out later Dyslexia was her problem. She got tutored through the library, and went on to take some college courses. She couldn't take notes in class because of the speed the class moved, but was allowed to copy other peoples notes, because of the problem. Studying is still hard for her and she has to take her time, but now she can deal with the frustration, and come out on top.

14. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

With me it is slightly different. I will say the wrong number but type or write the correct one. The funny thing is that I'm an accountant by profession[​IMG] [​IMG] .
    It freaks out many people whenever it happens.

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I think with a lot of the examples here its not dyslexia...i think they are just typos or the thinking getting ahead of the motor skills. Especially the "teh" instead of "the". And mixing 'i' and 'o'. The 'i' and 'o' thing I think can be pure typos since they are right next to eachother on the keyboard. I see this SOOOO often through emails and instant messenger. When someone mispells something just look at the other letters around the one they hit, it can usually be figured out what they really meant [​IMG]