Dynaudio LR120+ vs B&W CDM7 NT

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohMabe, Oct 13, 2003.

1. JohMabe

JohMabe Stunt Coordinator

I currently own a pair of Dynaudio LR120+, I'm a bit unhappy with the lack of power of the speaker, it seems like I'm gonna blow it someday. So I was considering an upgrade to a B&W CDM7NT. The problem is I heard that B&Ws can sound very metalic, and I am used to the Dynaudio smoothness. Even though I hate the low sensitivity of the Dynaudios, I recognize their sound quality is impecable.

So I was wondering, will I be disappointed with a CDM7NT?

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Boy, that's a loaded question.

I'm surprised you're disappointed withe the Dyns. A few years ago, when I was shopping for my first set of mains, I seriously considered the Dynaudio Audience 70. But they looked cheap for their price, because the cost of the speaker had mostly to do with the electronics inside.
    I went with the B&W CDM 7SEs instead, mainly because of the wife acceptance factor. If we're going to spend that much money on speakers, she said, they better look damn good. The CDMs both sounded and looked great.
    Whether you'll like the CDMs better is strictly your own taste. What are you using to drive your speakers? Dyns have a reputation of being power hungry. You can power the CDMs with 100 watts per channel, as long as we're talking true power and not marketing gibberish.

3. JohMabe

JohMabe Stunt Coordinator

I'm gonna be driving it with a Roksan Kandy. I auditioned the DM-603 S3 and it sounded just great! What a Bass punch... I was gonna keep my Dynaudio and buy a sub, but now I'm re-evaluating my decision, since the B&Ws sounded so great. But, anyway, I am going to buy a CDM7-NT, not the DM series... I hope it is a good one, because it is gonna cost me alot...

And you are right about the looks, Dynaudios are ugly, B&W are European stylish.