Dynaudio Drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Cheung, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, just a few days ago, my friend and I went to a showing for Boettger Acoustics to here their products and I was amazed! They had incredable products and I would have to say that it sounded way better than Paradigm Monitor 11's and the 90P's but I'm getting of topic. I asked him what drivers he uses and he said he uses Dynaudio. Now has anyone in the past worked with Dynaudio? And do you know where I can get a hold of some drivers, I wanna build myself some speakers but I don't know which drivers to use. Thanx guys!

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Madisound, and others, get ready to come off your hip, they are not cheap but they are spectacular. I use 4 twelves in my 2 subs (2 in each box ) they were over $400 each, also have some MTM types with Danes, its been awhile but I think they are 5 inch drivers and they also were in the 3-400 dollar range each.
    You can buy kits with Dane drivers that preform great, also not a budget speaker, You can by finished speakers by Dyna Audio, get ready. . .

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Actually, I think it was last year, Dynaudio stopped supplying raw drivers to the DIY market.

You may still find isolated cases of vendors with some inventory, but otherwise I think you're out of luck.

4. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

Dynaudio no longer sells drivers to the DIY market. Madisound and Speaker City both used to sell them, but they no longer have any stock. They still sell them directly on an OEM basis to certain speaker manufacturers.
    You might want to look instead at Scan-Speak drivers, which are somewhat similar in sound and comparable in quality. (Dynaudio and Scan-Speak are both Danish companies founded by a guy named Skaaning.) Scan-Speak makes drivers for numerous well-known audiophile speaker companies, including Revel, Wilson, Vienna, Dunlavy (RIP), Sonus Faber, and ProAc. You can get Scan-Speak drivers and kits from Madisound, Speaker City, and North Creek, among others. You might want to visit your local ProAc dealer and listen to the Response 2.5's. If you like them, you can find instructions for building clones of those speakers here: ProAc Response 2.5 Clones.

5. Jon Cheung

Thanx guys for you replys. Since I'm out of luck with Dynaudio, can you guys give me any other manufactures which would come close to their preformance? I've checked out Scan-Speak and they look great but I wanna check out some more before I make my final decision. Thanx guys!

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Jon,

Scan-Speak drivers are regarded by many to be the best in the world so I'm not sure what you would find that would compare. A couple of other highly regarded drivers are Seas and Vifa.

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

What about Focal? They seem to be fairly well regarded too, no? Though I would focus more on the crossover. Crossovers can make great drivers sound horrible as well as cheap drivers sound great. I'm fairly certain most designers will tell you that the crossover is one of if not the most important part of a design.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I agree with Dan. There are kits that use very inexpensive drivers with great crossovers that sound wonderful. Doesn't matter how much you spend on the drivers, will sound aweful without a great crossover design.

9. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

I strongly suggest that you do some reading at this site:
    DIY Loudspeaker Driver Selection Guide (the LDSG)
    It has a wealth of information about available drivers and kits, and should answer all but your most specific questions.
    Unless you really want to dive into this thing head first and purchase speaker design software and a wide variety of crossover components (needed for tweaking crossover designs), I suggest that you go with a proven kit/design. As someone else pointed out, the crossover is really more important than the drivers. There are lots of very expensive speakers on the market that use surprisingly inexpensive drivers. Yet they sound wonderful, because the drivers selected complement each other nicely and the crossover design brings out the best in them. Conversely, you can buy very expensive drivers, and if you slap them in a cheap cabinet with a lousy off the shelf crossover, they'll sound awful.
    Based on your interest in the Dynaudio drivers, I'd guess that you'd be quite happy with a design using Scan-Speak drivers, such as the ProAc clone or one of the North Creek kits. But there are also some well regarded designs that use drivers by Seas, Focal, Morel, Vifa, and Peerless, among others. (Vifa and Peerless drivers are made by Scan-Speak, BTW.)

10. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Definitely check out ScanSpeak. I love the Scan tweeter in my ACI's. The Focal woofer is darn good too although I've heard ACI's Jaguar with Scan tweeter AND woofer, and it beats the focal woofer. Of course the overall design probably has a lot to do with it. As said, the crossover and cabinet design are very important.

11. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

SEAS Excel series with the Millenium tweeter is a fantastic range of drivers. As a DIY kit, you could try getting the Odin which is designed by Joseph D'Appollito himself.

Cheers,
    Mike

12. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

... Talking about good drivers, what about this ones? Pure ceramic, they are incredible dynamic and detailed. To my knowledge only three manufacturer's use them, Avalon, Margules and Kharma.

13. Jon Cheung

Thanx guys for the replys. Where can I find these kits? Most likely a Scan-Speak Kit? I've talked to tonnes of people about building a crossover, some say it's hard but some say it's a sinch to make one, just get all the materials and find out all the mathamatical stuff. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about the crossover but hopefully you guys can show me a few kits. Thanx!!!!

14. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

15. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Madisound has lots of kits and is a good place to work with. You could also try subwoofers.cc, I heard they have a few Jaguar kits left (scanspeak drivers, a kit version of the superb $2500 pr ACI Jaguar. As to crossovers, saying they're easy shows extreme ignorance on that persons part. The crossover and cabinet require expertise and the right equipment to design right.

16. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Manuel,

17. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Mike
    Thanks for the info. Those surely look amazing. Something peculiar is that three of the four manufacturer's using this drivers are German, the fourth is Mexican. [​IMG]