Dynaudio 42Ws-Has anyone heard them?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Dickerson, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

I have a difficult installation problem which requires that I have speakers affixed directly to the walls. I have looked everywhere for speakers that will hang on the wall and that I like to listen to. That really cuts down the field as most of these wall hanging speakers are very flat sounding to me and have significant box coloration.

A local dealer has suggested Dynaudio 42Ws, which supposedly are the same speaker as the Model 42s, but have a different box so that they can hang on the wall (front-ported, wider box, but not as deep). I liked the sound of the regular 42s, but this dealer doesn't stock the 42Ws and I need to buy them before he orders them. I am concerned that the speaker on the wall will not sound as good as the freestanding 42s.

Has anyone heard the 42Ws? I would appreciate your input.

2. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard the 42W or the 42, for that matter, but I would be willing to guess that they will sound great! I haven't heard a dynaudio speaker I didn't like! If the 42W didn't live up to dynaudio's expectations I would think they wouldn't make them. just my thoughts...

I would go for it... your dealer won't let you return them if you don't like them? that doesn't sound right to me...

by the way, I own the Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII and the Audience C120+ and LOVE them!

3. steve mm

steve mm Agent

I also own a set of dyn's not the w's .find a different dealer.my dealer would get them and if i did not like them let me trade in.expecaily when you concedre there cost and you dont get any special deals on them.just keep in mind minimum cost to your dealer is 50 % off. I no i have seen a cost sheet.

4. Jon G.

Jon G. Stunt Coordinator

I own a pair of the 42w that I use as my rear speakers.

They're great because they're so small (13" height) and mount to the wall, for me that was important.

Be aware that they're 4ohm speakers, so you'll need an amp/receiver that can handle that.

I listened to the regular 42s and found the sound to be identical.