Dynasty

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brandon_D, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Brandon_D

Brandon_D Stunt Coordinator

Since Dallas is being released on DVD, I sincerely hope it does well!! It will hopefully open the floodgates to release Dynasty on DVD! This is a show that needs to be preserved on DVD!!

2. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I'd like to see Dynasty get a release too. I've got it on VHS recorded from TV but it's not the same. I grew up watching it. It had a few bad years when "The Colby's" got two major characters from the show but it was good overall.

3. Nick Eden

Nick Eden Stunt Coordinator

Count me in for season boxsets of Dynasty.I shall be buying the season sets of Dallas. It is going to be great watching Dallas again-great series.

4. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Fox owns "Dynasty", and I hope that they get to it soon, that way they can finally get to the primetime soap I want most of all on DVD- Peyton Place!!!!!

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Any reviews anywhere yet??????? [​IMG]

6. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    Sitcoms Online did a review of Dynasty, I hope it's okay to mention that here [​IMG]

7. david_hu

david_hu Stunt Coordinator

O.K.
    I just received my Dynasty set down here in Australia. It was shipped from Canada slightly earlier than the release date.
    I haven't had a chance to view anything much except for a quick look here and there.
    Most important are the transfers haven't been cleaned up. There are artifacts galore; otherwise the picture is quite acceptable and doesn't bother me that much.
    There are 3 commentaries with Esther Shapiro doing the pilot(broken into three eps) and the last two of the season with Al Corley. Esther seems quite into it all and provides an interesting commentary.She doesn't seem bored by it all as some commentaries you hear on other sets
    The extras are pitiful though. One is a doco about 20 minutes long which i havent really looked at yet. It seems to be about the creating of the series. Two character bios of Al Corley and Pamela Sue Martin, both only 5 mins long. You see Al and Pamela as they are today talk about their characters.
    That's it for the extras!
    There were no "last time on Dynasty" recaps to go with each ep either.
    I checked my old VHS tapes of the show which I recorded about 2-3 years ago here on cable in Australia and they all had the recaps. So I don't know why Fox didn't put them on.
    The discs are plain with no picture graphics and they are flippers. The disc has a gold ring around the centre, but the other side has nothing. At first you think it's only one sided and I thought the last ep of the season was missing from the disc.
    All in all, cheaply put together by Fox, sparse in the extras department, and O.K, artifact filled transfers.
    Having looked at my old VHS copies, the picture quality on DVD is miles better, of course.

8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Having watched the first 2 discs, I thought the prints and transfers were pretty clean. Some print artifacts on the films here and there, but not what I would call galore.

I did notice on my system what I felt was some very slight edge enhancement, with the edge of some car doors shimmering once in while, and once Bo Hopkins hair shimmered. Overall, I thought the picture quality was excellent for the age of the materials and the price of the set.

9. david_hu

david_hu Stunt Coordinator

Some people get real picky about artifacts and I thought I should mention there are plenty.Personlly they don't bother me, but if you soley look out for them, they are there in spades.
    The picture is quite crisp as you say, but the film artifacts are there and Fox haven't made any attempt to clean them up for the real purists.

10. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Can you tell if they used the original masters or the syndication prints? Just learned that the Dallas set uses the edited, time-sped syndication versions of the show, and I fear that's what I'm going to get if I buy this set.

11. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    Where did you hear that about Dallas? I haven't seen any mention of it at all at Ultimate Dallas [​IMG]

12. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Scott_F_S: I've watched the first 2 discs, and they are the originals, not the syndicated versions. They are neither edited nor time-sped. Can't guarantee about the eps on the last 2 discs yet, but I'm willing to bet they'll be the same.

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Well, they're not entirely the originals. The original pilot was a 3-hour episode shown in one night. Subsequently, it was cut into three parts (but not edited for time) for summer repeats on ABC. It was then cut further for syndication.

Becuase Fox chose to use all DVD-10s for this set, with a limit of 2 hours per side, the pilot episode becomes a flipper, and to make the transition on the flip look "nicer", Fox used the ending of the "cut for summer reruns" 2nd hour, so that it would have the "TO BE CONTINUED" title card at the sidebreak. This unusual bit of editing (which throws in an establishing shot of Krystle standing on a balcony from later in the episode for no good reason) was not in the original bradcast, which faded to black after Blake's confrontation with Steven and went to commercial.

To sum up, nothing has been cut from the set, but one bit of "extra junk" has been added.

-Lyle J.P.

14. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

This is SOP for Fox in the USA. None of the Buffy or Angel sets had them (even though the UK sets did). In fact, the only Fox TV set that has them that I've seen is "The Shield", and then still not on the Season 1 set.

-Lyle J.P.

15. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Angel S5 had them (strangely enough).

Thanks for the info re: original versions. There is a live thread on Dallas where someone says they (Dallas eps) are the syndication versions.

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Did anyone notice a very young Robert Davi in episode 2? I had to chuckle at that.

-Lyle J.P.

17. Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner Stunt Coordinator

I know this isnt the point but regarding FOX and previously ons I know 24, Roswell and a few Tru Calling epsiodes had previouslies

18. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

24 Season 2+ had previously on segments... Season 1 did not unfortunately.