What's new

Dynasty - The Official Thread for all things Carrington & Colby (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I've been rewatching the series and midway thru Season 2. I got to the episode where Blake tells Jeff Colby he would like to adopt him and almost spit my soda out all over the place. I just love how crazy this show is. :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Got around to eventually finishing season 9.

Speaking of season 2, over the decades I completely forgot about the revisited Roger Grimes storyline at the end of season 9, which was mentioned at the beginning of season 2 in Alexis' first appearance.

By the time it was season 9 back in the day, I was sorta drifting away from the show and not really following that closely anymore.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I've been rewatching the series and midway thru Season 2. I got to the episode where Blake tells Jeff Colby he would like to adopt him and almost spit my soda out all over the place. I just love how crazy this show is. :)
I never found that idea crazy, especially since, for most of the series, Jeff was more loyal and son-like than Adam ever was.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I never found that idea crazy, especially since, for most of the series, Jeff was more loyal and son-like than Adam ever was.

I understand that but Jeff is a grown a** man! That is why I found it so ridiculous. But moments like that make the show so rewatchable.

I just love the show though at the season 2 point because they haven't sucked the life out of Fallon's character yet. I think once she got pregnant and had the baby we lost that rebellious version of Fallon.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
That I think was the main reason why Pamela Sue wanted out of the show. They turned Fallon into a boring, conventional working mother. It was too much of a change from her regular character.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I understand that but Jeff is a grown a** man! That is why I found it so ridiculous. But moments like that make the show so rewatchable.

I just love the show though at the season 2 point because they haven't sucked the life out of Fallon's character yet. I think once she got pregnant and had the baby we lost that rebellious version of Fallon.
And I doubt whether that idea would have floated with Frankie and Jason - but of course that's all revealed later. ;)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Lately I've been watching season 6 a lot, and parts of season 7. I've been playing it in the background when I'm at home.

Not the best seasons.

The Moldavia segments seem like an unintentionally humorous version of The A-Team.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In regard to Dynasty vs. Dallas, I've been finding Dallas gets more difficult to watch for me as the seasons go on.

Whenever I do a rewatch of Dallas, I end up mostly watching the tail end of season 1 through to around the end of season 5 or so. After that, I find Dallas somewhat difficult to watch.

In the case of Dynasty, I find almost all 9 seasons to be completely watchable for me. The most difficult season for me to watch, turns out to be season 1.

I don't know how to describe why precisely. In the case of Dallas, it feels like I'm watching an actual "real" tv show.

In contrast, Dynasty feels like I'm watching a "cartoon" with real live actors. ;)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Recently watched the docudrama telefilm Dynasty: The Making of a Guilty Pleasure.

Overall it seemed rather mediocre. Most of the events covered in this telefilm, would be familiar to anyone who has read/watched enough stuff about the events that went on behind the scenes. (Easily found via googling nowadays).

Only part which seemed memorable is the actress that portrayed Joan/Alexis. (IIRC, it's the same actress that played the Borg Queen brilliantly in the Star Trek "First Contact" movie).

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Only part which seemed memorable is the actress that portrayed Joan/Alexis. (IIRC, it's the same actress that played the Borg Queen brilliantly in the Star Trek "First Contact" movie).

Are you referring to Alice Krige?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

I was watching through some season 4 episodes earlier today, and noticed the Fallon character was already "softening up" and less snippety/sarcastic. It seemed like PSM's portrayal of Fallon in season 4 was becoming more like a "mother" than the spoiled brat of previous seasons.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A preview of the new CW Dynasty.

Not quite sure what to make of it, other than the actress playing Fallon looks like a young Pamela Sue Martin.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Wow that looks awful and no one looks like anyone from the original. In fact they should have named the show something else changed the names etc and made it original. It will fail miserably besides the fact it was made for CW

I tried to keep an open mind and have fun with that preview but the fact you don't even seem to care for Crystal and the fact Fallon doesn't have Pamela Sue Martins Fire = fail.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If one files off the serial numbers (ie. remove the Dynasty brand name), this preview reminds me of one of those mexican or southamerican telenovelas but with the actors speaking in English.

The CW has failed in reboots before, such as the revived Melrose Place which only lasted one season.

Nowadays the quintessential nighttime soap opera to beat in terms of quality, would be something like Empire. IMHO, Empire seems to have successfully combined the nighttime soap format into an action/conspiracy movie style. (Before Empire, I would have thought Revenge was the quintessential 2010s era nighttime soap).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a huge tangent).

Today I picked up the final few seasons of Gossip Girl from a local dump bin. I previously had the first several seasons, but haven't watched them yet.

After noticing the revived Dynasty is being handled by the producers Schwartz/Savage of Gossip Girl (and The OC), I decided to start watching through the Gossip Girl dvds, to see what Schwartz/Savage might possibly do for the new upcoming season of Dynasty.

(I probably won't go through The OC).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Fallon/Cristal dynamic in the CW Dynasty preview, seems to be more like a Alexis/Sable dynamic in season 9 than the original Fallon/Krystle dynamic in the earlier seasons. In the sense of the new Fallon and Cristal wanting to be high-power corporate/business types.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hmmm ......

The more I watch through Gossip Girl, the less optimistic I am about this Dynasty reboot.

In and of itself, Gossip Girl isn't a bad show. It doesn't feel like Dynasty at all.

Hopefully Schwartz/Savage don't end up making this Dynasty reboot into a "Gossip Girl: Denver" (or Gossip Girl: Atlanta).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've been watching season 8 over the past week or so.

The Sean Rowan segments seem to resemble a mediocre James Bond movie. Almost like a long continuous episode of MacGyver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks