What's new

Dynasty - The Official Thread for all things Carrington & Colby (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With season 1 now re-released as single-sided discs by CBS/Paramount, I wonder what the next Dynasty dvd release will be. :)

If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS/Paramount releases a multi-season set consisting of Dynasty seasons 1 to 4 as a large 22-disc set (probably initially as a Walmart exclusive).

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I'd imagine they probably would release some multi season sets esp if they can sell them initially as exclusive to certain retailers like WalMart, Costco etc.

Side note it is nice to have all of the pilot on ONE disc without having to flip it for the remainder of the pilot.

Also decided I will hold onto my Fox set because the box set is still Mint and it looks nice doesn't take up much space just as well keep it for Dynasty sake.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
With season 1 now re-released as single-sided discs by CBS/Paramount, I wonder what the next Dynasty dvd release will be. :)

If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS/Paramount releases a multi-season set consisting of Dynasty seasons 1 to 4 as a large 22-disc set (probably initially as a Walmart exclusive).

I thought it would be more like a multi-pack of the first three seasons (spring 1981-1983) (being that Dynasty had 9 seasons).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I thought it would be more like a multi-pack of the first three seasons (spring 1981-1983) (being that Dynasty had 9 seasons).

The largest sized low-budget shelf-friendly case that CBS/Paramount is currently using, are those 24-disc cases. For example, they're using it for some Walmart exclusives like:

Cheers - seasons 1 to 6
Blue Bloods - seasons 1 to 4
Charmed - seasons 1 to 4
NCIS - season 1 to 4
Criminal Minds - seasons 1 to 4

The number of seasons isn't really relevant in these particular sets using those 24-disc cases. As long as enough consecutive full seasons worth of discs can be crammed into the 24-disc case.

A set with seasons 1 to 4 of Dynasty would make sense.

On the other hand for the next few seasons, a season 5 to 7 Dynasty set would make sense since it has a total of 23 discs. (ie. Season 5 = 8 discs, season 6 = 8 discs, season 7 = 7 discs).

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a complete "Dynasty" set coming out sooner than later, especially with the reboot. There's still money to make.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a complete "Dynasty" set coming out sooner than later, especially with the reboot. There's still money to make.

For sure.

In such a complete series set released in low-budget shelf-friendly packaging, most likely seasons 8 and 9 will be in a separate case holding all 12 discs.

If the post-series 1991 movie The Reunion is released with (or before) the low-budget shelf-friendly complete series set, then most likely it will also be in the case with seasons 8 and 9.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My guess is a seasons 1 to 4 Dynasty set released as a Walmart exclusive, might very well be a trial balloon to see how much interest there is.

If enough copies are sold, then CBS/Paramount will probably give the green light to immediately release a complete series set, and maybe even the 1991 Reunion movie. As long as publicity for the CW Dynasty reboot is still fresh in the popular media.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a different issue).

Wonder how long the license will last for The Colbys, that Shout Factory signed with CBS/Paramount.

Over the last year or so, the license for the original Twilight Zone with Image Entertainment expired, where the rights reverted back to CBS/Paramount. Eventually CBS/Paramount re-released their own complete series dvd and bluray sets of the original Twilight Zone, where they allegedly just manufactured the same bluray discs authored by Image Entertainment.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Anyone else excited to finally get the first season of Dynasty on DVD on single sided discs? Yes I loved the classic Shiny Sparkling DVD case artwork but we can say goodbye to those flipper discs!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NADZ1CY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently $14.99 and release date Feb 7th 2017

I think personally (although I don't know if I'll get it) that this will be the better release of Dynasty's first season's worth in 1981, simply because it's on singles, and not the doubles of the original.

Originally I was planning on waiting for a possible complete series set, instead of buying this recently re-released CBS/Paramount version of season 1. (If you go through my recent posting history on this message board, I mentioned this several times in other threads).

Though what changed my mind was that over the past week or two, by chance I came across some Dynasty season sets in the dump bins at several local discount/dollar stores. I ended up buying the two season 6 half-sets and one of the season 7 half-sets, along with an older season 3 half-set which I didn't have previously. When I was doing my grocery shopping this past weekend, by chance I found the other season 7 half-set at a nearby grocery store's dvd dump bin. (These were all largely $5 a pop or less dump bin titles).

So at the beginning of this week (Sunday), I had all the season 2 to season 7 dvd Dynasty sets.

Since I haven't seen the season 8 and 9 dvd sets yet in local dump bins, I decided to order them from amazon along with the re-released season 1 set. This was just enough to get "free shipping", which was the deal breaker for me.

I'm glad I did end up buying the season 9 set. Watching through some of the initial season 9 episodes again, it was somewhat better than I remembered it. (Previously I haven't watched season 9 in a very long time).

Last edited:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
i recall a few years back coming across a Season 2 set at a big lots or one of those places for like $7.00 I already owned it and it was mint condition I wanted to buy it for a friend but sadly I know no one who really likes the show so I left it on the rack.

those are good finds though for the volume sets.

the audio on the new season one set is English and Spanish and also English and Spanish subtitles.

I just took a pic of my full Dynasty DVD collection. (I kept the first Season FOX released at the start because I like the outer box so much.)

Dynasty.jpg

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
i recall a few years back coming across a Season 2 set at a big lots or one of those places for like $7.00 I already owned it and it was mint condition I wanted to buy it for a friend but sadly I know no one who really likes the show so I left it on the rack.

Similar sentiments here too. :)

Awhile ago I also came across a season 2 copy for $1 at a local dollar store. Though I ended up buying it as another silly $1 "impulse buy", even though I already had a copy of season 2.

More generally, I suspect the primary reason why I have seen so many dump bin copies of Dynasty season 2 over the past 5+ years or so, is CBS/Paramount possibly manufacturing too many copies back in 2007. CBS/Paramount might have greatly overestimated the demand for the season 2 dvd set, and ended up with too many unsold returned copies after a few years.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In terms of other dump bin Dynasty season sets, the only other ones I have come across with relatively high frequency, are the season 5 half-sets and the Fox season 1 flipper set.

The individual Fox season 1 sets were most likely just Fox "washing their hands" of their old inventory which they no longer had the rights to. No big surprise here. (ie. Liquidation).

In the case of season 5, most likely this was another case of CBS/Paramount greatly overestimating the demand for these two half-sets, and manufacturing too many copies. IIRC, season 5 was the year when Dynasty was the #1 rated show in america, when they finally beat Dallas.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

those are good finds though for the volume sets.

the audio on the new season one set is English and Spanish and also English and Spanish subtitles.

I just took a pic of my full Dynasty DVD collection. (I kept the first Season FOX released at the start because I like the outer box so much.)

View attachment 36407

What does the menu on this new CBS first-season Dynasty release look like?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Those look nice. (of course we always hate those ratings logos on spines and covers. But Yeah I did own some of the UK DVD sets, I had a few with nice slipcovers also. Those looked good. But I like those nice tick spines on the UK sets. Of course they didn't squeeze out every penny like CBS did in the U.S. buy charging higher prices on volume sets. I think that hurt sales, esp when they just stopped remastering the seasons and still charges high prices.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Those look nice. (of course we always hate those ratings logos on spines and covers. But Yeah I did own some of the UK DVD sets, I had a few with nice slipcovers also. Those looked good. But I like those nice tick spines on the UK sets. Of course they didn't squeeze out every penny like CBS did in the U.S. buy charging higher prices on volume sets. I think that hurt sales, esp when they just stopped remastering the seasons and still charges high prices.
I loved the glittery slipcases for the UK ones too - but they must have been costly to do because I only ever got them for Seasons 4, 5 and 6.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

(This may sound really dumb).

By the time I started buying a lot of dvds in 2011, I was already a bottom-feeder cheapskate scavenger.

:)

At that time circa 2012 -> 2013, I delayed buying further seasons of Dynasty largely because the previous older half-season sets were still around $15 a pop in local dump bins. I only really started buying these half-sets sometime in 2014, when they started to dip below the $10 price point.

More recently within the past month, the seasons 6 and 7 sets were starting to show up in local dump bins below $10 a pop. (As mentioned in a previous post).

So far I haven't seen seasons 8 and 9 yet in local dump bins.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Perhaps this shouldn't be too surprising).

On my way home, I dropped by two different Walmart stores. It turned out neither one carried the recently re-released CBS/Paramount season 1 Dynasty dvd set.

The bigger WM store carried the recently released Sabrina The Teenage Witch telefilm "Sabrina Down Under" dvd, which was released on the same day as the re-released Dynasty season 1 set. (Both of these new dvd releases are CBS/Paramount titles).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks