What's new

Dynasty Season Four Announced (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3957200

Thanks for the heads up pre-ordered so I won't miss a price drop on the final season set. I am hoping I get Season 8 delivered before the weekend. Did you order S 8 from UK also?

Have ordered Dynasty: Season 8 (Region 2) from Amazon UK. Not received it in the post yet. The slip covers over the plastic DVD case seem to be made of thinner cardboard, compared to earlier Dynasty: Region 2 sets, and are more prone to damage (am very fussy with the condition of slip covers over plastic DVD cases).

What's interesting, is that on the Amazon UK listing page for Dynasty: The Eighth Season, a reviewer has said the "Last time, on Dynasty..." recaps are in this set. They say it's the first time this has happened, which is technically true if it's with all 22 episodes in the set. But the only other time an episode of Dynasty in the Region 2 sets, has started with the "Last time, on Dynasty..." recap, was at the start of the feature length episode "The Titans" in the Season 6 set.

I'm hoping that the reason for the higher pre-order price for the ninth season (Region 2) set, is because Dynasty: The Reunion will be included. The pre-order price might drop down though (I hope), because if I remember right, when the eighth season was available for pre-order on Amazon UK, initially the pre-order price was higher than on Play.com. Then a few days or weeks later the pre-order price was the same on Amazon UK as it was on Play.com.

Wasn't expecting the ninth season to be released until next January at the earliest, so a November release is great news.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yeah I think Season 8 will really be the first time for the recaps. Hopefully our slips will arrive in decent shape. Mine shipped Sat from UK so if i get it between today and Sat that would be great. hate to have to wait until Monday. (A tip though for ordering in Stock from amazon UK is that if you place your order to make it ship out Thurs or Fri I usually get my orders the very next mon-Wed no joke If is ships after Friday it seems to take about a weekish later to arrive.)

Gary Arnold

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Arnold
Hi I purchased Dynasty season 8 from amazon, and it didnt come with an outter slip :rolleyes:case, tried looking on ebay for one but no joy... can anyone help? Just need the slip. willing to buy one from a genuine seller. Cheers Gary

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Gary Arnold said:
Hi I purchased Dynasty season 8 from amazon, and it didnt come with an outter slip case, tried looking on ebay for one but no joy... can anyone help? Just need the slip. willing you buy one from a genuine seller. Cheers Gary
I believe some rec'd Season 7 without slipcover also, was no reasoning behind it. I haven't rec'd mine yet so not sure If I will get a slip or not this season. A title this new should come with the slipcover. U can always try to return exchange with amazon, just say a disc won't play and send the other set back. (once you recieve a new set and see if it comes with a slip or not)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Dynasty: Season 8 arrived in the post today, and whilst the slipcover isn't perfect I'm very satisfied with it. Will try and watch the season premiere this weekend and comment on it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Comments on the disc 1 menus and the episode presentation of Dynasty's eighth season premiere (the first of a two-parter):

The lettering on the episode menu is in light/pale blue (the image on Disc 1's episode menu screen is of Blake (John Forsythe), and the image on the Audio and Subtitles options screen looks to be a Season 8 cast promo with some of the cast from the season). The season premiere begins with a "Last season, on Dynasty..." recap (even though one clip in the recap is from The Colbys' series finale), and looks to be the same recap as shown on CBS Drama when they repeated Dynasty (including the telephone conversation scene with Blake and Fallon, which wasn't from any Season 7 episode).

Depending on your TV's colour settings, you may need to lower the colour level, as there is flickering on the stronger colours, and there is that visual problem you can get with striped suits (it also happens with dark wooden doors and the set-up shot of the Cheney Hospital in one part of the eighth season premiere). The picture looks better once the colour level is lowered. I thought the colour of the lettering on screen changed to orange this season. It's still yellow, and the size of the lettering is smaller. The look of Dynasty changed in this season I think, but it's not quite the 'shot on film, edited on videotape' look of Dallas and Knots Landing in the same season (the 1987-88 season).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jack, even though it states on the CBS Television Syndication Bible that only the second to fifth seasons of Dynasty have been transferred to HD, do all 30 episodes in the Region 1 release of Dynasty's sixth season (comprised of two half season sets) look like they've been transferred to HD?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Season 6 US release to me look untouched... they look rough for sure not HD transfers. I think they are the same as the UK edition but you mentioned that first Ep of the season looked cropped to you. It looked fine on the US release to me. (No longer have the UK version to prove it though.

Season 6 for sure no way was remastered in my opinion.

Jealous you got your Season 8 but I'm in MN so hopefully Monday I will have it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Yes, the sixth season premiere "Aftermath" had a zoomed-in look to it. The second episode of the eighth season has a "Last time, on Dynasty..." recap. However, I thought it was going to be a 30 second recap. Instead, the recap was between one and a half and two minutes long (same as with the season premiere's recap of the seventh season finale/cliffhanger). No frame jump problem with this episode either. Picture/print quality is on a par with the season premiere.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Powell&Pressburger said:
Season 6 US release to me look untouched... they look rough for sure not HD transfers. I think they are the same as the UK edition but you mentioned that first Ep of the season looked cropped to you. It looked fine on the US release to me. (No longer have the UK version to prove it though. 
Season 6 for sure no way was remastered in my opinion. 
Jealous you got your Season 8 but I'm in MN so hopefully Monday I will have it. 
Season 6 looked weird the year it premiered on ABC. I don't know what they were doing--knowing Aaron Spelling, he was trying to cut costs, and either used a cheaper film stock or had the entire season edited on videotape. The whole season looks browner than the seasons surrounding it. Season 7 didn't look much better. But it's nothing to do with the age of the materials or the dvd transfers--it always looked a little shabbier than the rest of the series.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wish we in the US were getting close to finishing Dynasty. It has been a very, very long time to get the series to this point. Somewhere in season 7 the show really starts to go down hill. In retrospect, I'd have to say from season 6 on the show really starts it's downward spiral. The whole Rita/Krystal thing gets old after three or four episodes. It just drags on and on for twelve episodes. The show just never seems to recover from that horrid storyline.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I got my copy of Season 8 from UK today. NO SLIPCOVER on my copy. I am now on EP 2 of the season.

As Wave noted this season so far has a harsh video look to it. Kind of like watching a bleeding laserdisc. To bad the show doesn't have a film look any longer. I guess at least we have season 8 and BTW that FALLON storyline shot of the recap for the previous season is crazy bad haha totally jumped the shark... I take it the Fallon footage was from The Colby's? Or was it just created to build Fallon and Jeff back into Dynasty?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Pretty sure Jack, that the Fallon footage of her entranced by the UFO at the crossroads in the desert was from the The Colbys' series finale, but the footage of her scene with Blake was not from Dynasty's sixth or seventh seasons.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yeah they seem to have more flashbacks on the second episode. That storyline is redic. haha. Oh well I guess we have seen the better eps. At least by Nov we will have the full series.

Too bad they brought Bo Hopkins back for that stupid storyline and it was a complete waste except for the gasps I am sure it got on Season 7's season finale.

the Last Episode on Disc 1 The Announcement looks more on par with season 7's image quality,,, maybe it will stabilize and look like this the remaining eps.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, the scene of Fallon and the UFO is from the second season finale of The Colbys. I actually saw the episode once on Soapnet and it was totally ridiculous. Total laugh out loud moment. I still laugh just thinking about it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
The first EP on Disc 2 of the Uk set for season 8 the audio gets really rough and static static sounding like wind on a microphone. Kind of annoying. I wonder if this is the best CBS has to offer for the releases?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I watched all of my Season 8

Besides the ep there were only one or two that had that awful sound quality. Thrilled the final season will be out in NOV in UK.

looks like CONNIE the complete series is still on track for UK release on the 27th! I hope it is as good a show as others say it is.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jack, not holding my breath at the moment for Connie: The Complete Series being released next Monday. Would certainly be surprised if it did happen though.

And going back to Dynasty: Season 8. It looks like the UFO flashback clips are intact (referring to the last episode on Disc 1, "The Announcement").

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The UK has both Dynasty Season 9 and a "Complete Seasons" boxed set for the same day:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynasty-The-Complete-Seasons-Box/dp/B008R6BMHE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1346402342&sr=8-7
No inclusion of the Reunion, sadly--

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Ethan Riley said:
The UK has both Dynasty Season 9 and a "Complete Seasons" boxed set for the same day:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynasty-The-Complete-Seasons-Box/dp/B008R6BMHE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1346402342&sr=8-7
No inclusion of the Reunion, sadly--
The compete UK box shot looks kind of nice, I still buy the US releases as they come out but I usually watch the UK sets so I don't have to wait a year lol in fact I listed my season 7 UK set on amazon US to sell at 24.99 (No Slipcover Just standard case) / I already sold off season 8. I have season 9 on preorder will watch it and sell it also.
I wonder if the discs in the UK set esp for the first season will be single sided instead of the flipper type discs that were released in the US.
Now it has me thinking about the Complete Dallas UK set! I would love to own that show but really hate the US flipper discs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks