What's new

Dynasty Season Four Announced (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Oh, oh--I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the older seasons didn't look good on dvd and needed remastering. I guess you're saying that the episodes had undergone some recent remastering before dvd release. Didn't realize that. Well they sure did a good job! And I would add that I think they look better now than they did when aired on ABC in the 80s, too! Actually, the series has always looked pretty good in syndication. I remember seeing the middle seasons, say 6-7 on Soapnet in the late 90s...the show somehow looked better than it had on its original ABC broadcast. Don't ask me why--it just did. And the show was already 10-20 years old even then. I always figured that Spelling had kept especially good care of the prints or masters. But I don't really have any direct knowledge of why Dynasty looks so good compared to some of its contemporaries.
Now if we could only get Warners to pay attention, cause that Falcon Crest dvd didn't look so hot. I wish all pre-90s shows could look as good as Dynasty does (it's the only one from your list that I've seen so far).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I've read people's comments on the Soap Chat forum for Dynasty, saying how great the digitally remastered episodes of Dynasty look. There are the occasional episodes where some scenes or shots haven't been transferred to HD, but the majority have been transferred to HD.

I also liked how CBS DVD presented the series' pilot in it's original 135-odd minutes long version, instead of presenting the first two parts of "Oil" together, with "Oil: Part 3" separate on disc 1. Also, "Krystle's Lie" and "The Necklace" are presented as one feature length episode, instead of a two-part story.

I'm excited about this fifth season release, to see if CBS DVD have remastered the 29 episodes, because the first volume of season five hasn't been announced for Region 1 yet. If (and it's a big if) it does indeed come out in the UK on Region 2 on Monday 21st June, and CBS DVD go by the six month rule between releases (which dosen't always happen now with TV and film releases on DVD), the sixth season could be out before the end of the year in December.

I'm hoping the juddering screen for Michael Praed has been corrected. When I saw the fifth and sixth seasons on BBC1 and UK Gold (and the title sequence for "The Titans" on YouTube.com) the background behind Michael Praed (of the clock tower) judders up and down slightly.

That's going to be very interesting the sixth season set of Dynasty, because of course it was when they introduced The Colbys.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
"Krystle's Lie" and "The Necklace" were shot and intended as two one-hour episodes. They ran together on the same night simply because ABC ran into a scheduling snafu and had to air something.

As for the Colbys; geez, I don't think we're going to see it, unless CBS/Paramount is wise, and decides to make it a MOD or a direct sales title (like the Shout Factory titles). I just don't see Colbys as this big hit on dvd, seeing as how it was a lower-rated show in the first place. It's got star power working in its favor, but little else. But would it work as a MOD? Oh sure--there's loads of hardcore fans who want it; just not hundreds of thousands of them that would support a traditional release. My advice to CBS is to put the 49 episodes out as one big set, MOD, and charge about $99 for it. Whoever really wants it would buy it.

I have a good feeling that Dynasty season 5 is coming out in the U.S. as a general release to stores. But seasons 6-9? Who knows. the show sure got crummy about then. CBS didn't put out the last two (dumb) seasons of Melrose Place, so Dynasty's (dumb) seasons 6-9 might slip into "abandoned" territory if they don't MOD it.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I think when they complete the series and a box set is done, throw "THE COLBY'S" in FREE....... or include the series as it does overlap with "DYNASTY" in with each respective season. Other there are holes in the "DYNASTY" plot.....

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
cd4d746f_13027670x.jpg

Region 2 DVD front cover artwork for Dynasty: The Fifth Season has been put up on Play.com's pre-order listing page (source of the front cover artwork for the Region 2 fifth season set is Play.com).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
It's very similar to artwork posted on the Soap Chat forum for Dynasty for other countries in Europe. It's probably my favourite artwork so far.

It will be interesting to see how the eight discs are placed in the case. Will they all be attached to the plastic down the spine in the middle of the inside of the DVD case? Or will discs 1 & 8 be placed on their own on the left and right-hand sides of the inside of the DVD case, with discs 2 to 7 attached to the plastic in the middle of the inside of the DVD case?

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I don't get it out. How are they releasing Season 5 - COMPLETE in Region 2 and we haven't even received an announcement yet for Region 1. This really stinks.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I do know that U.S. primetime soaps and such are far more popular in Europe (not to mention Latin America) than they are in their country of origin. They capture the foreign fantasy of what romance is like in America, while those of us actually in America may view these same shows as preposterous and unrealistic. Some of these 80s primetime soaps are still revered in Europe, while back in the states some think back upon them as being dated and corny. (As an American, I did view them then as fantasy; I think today that they're kind of silly, but I still like them. They take me right back to better times).

Nevertheless, as I say, these shows are still revered in much of Europe which explains why they have far less trouble marketing them to Europeans. All the U.S. seems to want these days are 1-hour cop shows and (stupid) competition reality shows.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm looking forward to seeing what the print quality is like, hopefully up to the standard of the previous four seasons on Region 2 DVD.

CBS Drama in the UK is currently showing the sixth season of Dynasty. Still no sign yet of The Colbys.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The Colbys was rerun over and over on Soapnet in the U.S. several years back--so it managed to develop a more recent fanbase. I don't know if that helps its dvd chances, but it can't hurt. I still think it should be a MOD or direct order set; it'd probably do ok. I think people can enjoy Dynasty without having seen the Colbys, but Dominique did cross over from time to time, and people would never understand what was up with that pesky UFO...

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]"The Colby's" fell victim to "DYNASTY'S" ridiculous over the top plot lines. This series should have been incorporated into the story line of "DYNASTY" rather than a stand alone series it would have made some great story lines. Would love to have seen Joan with Stanwyck in a few scenes !!! And Sammy Jo go at it with Miles !!! This would have brought "Dynasty" back from Moldavia. And there would have been no need for the ridiculous Amanda to fill the void of Fallon on the series. That became a joke to me Blake and Alexis with children they never mentioned until they arrived. OK Adam I can understand but a fourth lost child.....[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I personally loved the Colbys !!! They could have expanded the storylines and made the series two hours or two installments a week........[/COLOR]

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
The Colbys was rerun over and over on Soapnet in the U.S. several years back--so it managed to develop a more recent fanbase. I don't know if that helps its dvd chances, but it can't hurt. I still think it should be a MOD or direct order set; it'd probably do ok. I think people can enjoy Dynasty without having seen the Colbys, but Dominique did cross over from time to time, and people would never understand what was up with that pesky UFO...
You also had Ken Howard being a main cast member in both Dynasty and The Colbys after The Colbys had started it's first season (even though he appeared occasionly in Dynasty). Emma Samms and Maxwell Caulfield popped back into Dynasty for an episode later on in the 1985-86 season as well.

That's a good idea, if CBS Paramount/CBS DVD did a MOD or direct order set for the whole of The Colbys. I worked it out and it would be something like a 13 disc set if the whole series was released together (24 episodes in the first season = 4 episodes each on discs 1-6 ; 25 episodes in the second and final season = 4 episodes on discs 7 to 10 and 3 episodes each on discs 11 to 13). This is just a theory, but the following could be how they would spread all 49 episodes across 13 discs (source of the episode titles below is EpGuides.com):

The Colbys: The First Season (1985-86):

Disc 1:

1. The Celebration (Series Premiere)
2. Conspiracy of Silence
3. Moment of Truth
4. Family Album

Disc 2:

5. Shadow of the Past
6. A House Divided
7. The Reunion
8. Fallen Idol

Disc 3:

9. The Letter
10. The Turning Point
11. Thursday's Child
12. The Pact

Disc 4:

13. Fallon's Choice
14. The Trial
15. Burden of Proof
16. My Father's House

Disc 5:

17. The Outcast
18. The Wedding
19. The Honeymoon
20. Double Jeopardy

Disc 6:

21. A Family Affair
22. The Reckoning
23. Anniversary Waltz
24. Checkmate (Season Finale)

The Colbys: The Second & Final Season (1986-87):

Disc 7:

25. The Gathering Storm (Season Premiere)
26. No Exit
27. Jason's Choice
28. The Matchmaker

Disc 8:

29. Something Old, Something New
30. The Gala
31. Bloodlines
32. Deceptions

Disc 9:

33. And Baby Makes Four
34. Bid for Freedom
35. Sanctuary
36. Reaching Out

Disc 10:

37. Power Play
38. The Legacy
39. The Home-Wrecker
40. Manhunt

Disc 11:

41. All Fall Down
42. Guilty Party
43. Fallon's Baby

Disc 12:

44. Answered Prayers
45. Return Engagement
46. Devil's Advocate

Disc 13:

47. Betrayals
48. The Dead End
49. Crossroads (Season & Series Finale).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Amazon.co.uk have updated their listing page for the Region 2 DVD boxset of Dynasty: The Fifth Season by updating the front cover artwork, the same as the front cover artwork on Play.com's listing page for the boxset.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Comments on the Region 2 (UK) DVD boxset of the fifth season of Dynasty below:
1.) On the majority of the inside of the slipcase is the glitter which has again been used on the front and back cover of the slipcase.
2.) The front of all eight discs are not in grey, but have a clear shiny look (like with some older Region 2 Paramount film titles.
3.) Did CBS DVD think this was the last season of Dynasty? The year is incorrect for all eight discs (1988 on discs 1 to 3, and 1989 on discs 4 to 8).
4.) The episode synopsis' on the reverse side of the DVD sleeve seem shorter, as the writing looks bigger than it did on the reverse of the fourth season DVD sleeve (even though there are more episodes in the fifth season compared to the fourth).
5.) I didn't notice this on the rear cover of the slipcase and DVD sleeve for the first four seasons, but there is a 'technicolor' logo in the bottom left hand corner.
I'll test the discs out in the next couple of days probably.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Dynasty: The Sixth Season is available for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk and Play.com.

Also, I read on Soap Chat a week or two ago that CBS Drama are going to show The Colbys in the UK sometime in 2011.

Below is the front cover 3D artwork for Dynasty: The Sixth Season:

e0ce40d1_17803688x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks