What's new

Dynamic Range? (1 Viewer)

Edwin_M

Agent
I just bought a new Dolby Digital and DTS reciever and I've been trying to make up my mind about how to set the dynamic range on it. It has three settings min, standard, and midnight. I've noticed that on min the center channel is a bit more louder than on the standard setting. What do you guys recommend and what is the correct setting?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There isn't really a 'correct' setting as such, but for the system to operate at its best you should have dynamic range compression set to its minimum possible level.

For your particular equipment, this sounds like the 'min' setting (although without knowing the model I can't be certain; check your manual to be sure). 'Midnight' will significantly reduce dynamic range allowing you to listen to movies at night without annoying the neighbours or anyone trying to sleep.

Adam

David Judah

Screenwriter
Alot depends on the playback level as well. If you want to get everything out of the soundtrack, set the compression to the lowest level as Adam suggested and let her rip. If you are going to listen at lower levels, turning the compression up will bring up the low level stuff that might be difficult to hear, but it will also clip off the dynamic peaks.
Brian Florian has a nice explanation Link Removed. Scroll down to Dynamic Range Control.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks