Dynamic Range Compression

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I always leave the d-range compression to "Off" on my denon 3802 receiver, but after putting it on "HI", I didn't notice much difference...
    I seem to remember that with my last receiver (yamaha rx-v 595a) a change of this setting had a lot more impact...
    But since then a lot of changes have occurred (added a sub, other speakers)
    It makes me wonder, though, if different brands use different range compressions. Is that possible?

2. JoshK

JoshK Agent

Excuse my ignorance, but what is d-range compression? Is that when receivers level out the peaks and lows in how loud/soft the music is allowed to flucuate? I think that was meant for TV watching to balance out when commercial come on WAY too loud. Or if you are listening to full symphony orchestral music and they crescendo, you don't clip the amp. As a bit of a purist, I would leave it off for music and might turn it on for TV viewing or latenight enjoyment.

3. Willem Vos

Well, dynamic range compression is something you can adjust in the setup menu of your av-receiver for Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks.
    Having it set to "Off", will do nothing to the dynamic sound of the dvd, the explosions will be really loud, and high pitched sounds will be... well... high pitched.
    Having it set to "High", explosions will sound muffled, and really high pitched sounds will be less so. Speech which was hard to hear will be louder as well.

Well, in theory, because I hear little or no difference when I change this setting. Neither in DTS or Dolby Digital.
    Maybe other denon 3802 users could share their experiences, because I think I must have overlooked something...

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

You both have it touched on pretty well.

Dynamic compression is used to compress the dynamic range. That was easy... Actually, what it does is readjust the sound for different listening situations. In Digital soundtracks quiet scenes are designed to play quiet, as low as not a sound at all, and loud sound were designed to be big boomy, such as jumps in a soundtrack, explosions, collisions etc. Compressing it makes that extreme difference in loud to quiet even less. The more you lower it, the lesser the difference will be. This is useful when a movie has horribly loud spikes in volume, or when you want to view a movie late at night without the quieter effects being inaudible.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

...and possibly disturbing sleeping others in the house or other-side-of-the-wall neighbors.

6. ChrisPaw

ChrisPaw Auditioning

But should this be enabled on both the dvd player and the receiver? Both my player and receiver have DCR abilities, and thus far i've been turning them off.

7. Willem Vos

When my DRC is set to "HI", I still get a lot of sub output. I can't hear the difference with it set to "off"

8. Willem Vos

Well, I finally figured it out.

I was re-watching Blade and couldn't help but to fiddle with the settings (again...).
    Changing the DRC just didn't do a *** thing!

It was not having a center speaker that was causing it.

I sold my center beginning this year to buy a new one, but ran in some financial difficulties.
    Anyway, apparently having center set to "none" in the setup also means you lose the ability to change the DRC.
    I changed it to "small" and yup, the DRC was working...

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Dcomp on my 3802 works everytime. Put on a scene with a lot of dynamic explosions and action etc and try out the setting and you'll notice a remarkable compression. Voices get louder and explosions get softer. On a normal scene with music or people talking you will not notice it much because there is not much dynamic range in that scene to compress. I think the 3802 compresses to a max of 25 db and thats a significant compression. I think I read it on the Denon site under FAQs.

10. Willem Vos

Thanks Yogi,
    but apparently it only works *IF* you have a center speaker connected.
    If the center channel is sent to the front speakers the DRC function is bypassed in some way.