Dynamic Orchestral Music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jagan Seshadri, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Hello, I am a classical music neophyte looking to purchase some well-recorded albums with good dynamics. A friend lent me a copy of Carmina Burana, which is dynamic but sounds evil for some reason (all that Latin staccato chanting, perhaps?), and I just cannot sit down and listen through the whole thing. I also have a Philips recording of some Haydn symphonies that are passable, but not memorable or energetic enough.

I'll admit that I find most music in this genre to be either stodgy or Bugs-Bunnyish (i.e. overly used in cartoons and car commercials), but there must be some lesser known orchestral works that are worthy of having in a CD collection (Aaron Copland's works come to mind).

Suggestions? I'd certainly appreciate that.

Regards,

-Jagan

2. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

I am not sure of other's review on this disc, but Mikhail Pletnev's recording(DGG) of Tchaikovsky's Symphonic Poem 'Tempest' has a dreadful bass(may be exaggerated?). It may give you some fun, as well as Telarc's recording of 1812 overture(Kunzel, Cincinatti Pops) and Ring without Words(instrumental excerpts of Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen", Previn, VPO).

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Hi Jagan,

Try Dvorak's Symphony #9 and Beethoven's #5. Tchaikovsky wrote many dynamic pieces as well (1812, Marche Slave, Violin Concerto, Symphony #5, etc.). As far as labels go, Telarc is known for its recording quality and huge dynamic range, so much so that you have to watch playback levels so you don't ruin your speakers!

4. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Try the recording on London Records of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. IMO, you'll never find another recording with more energetic, precise, dynamic sound from the brass section, and the cannon-fire at the ending is always a crowd-pleaser (how odd is it that one could say that of cannon-fire?).
    And as you've mentioned Aaron Copland, I highly recommend the recording on Telarc of his Fanfare For The Common Man, Rodeo Suite, and his Appalachian Spring Suite, with Louis Lane and the Atlanta Symphony. Especially with the first drum strokes of the first piece, your home theater system will certainly be put thru its paces with this recording!

5. andrew markworthy

Jagan, big sounding dynamic music really only came in with the 19th century. Beethoven is just about the earliest composer to write stuff in this vein. The full explanation would take ages to give, but it boils down to changing technology (instruments were capable of a wider volume range), larger orchestras, and a move towards dramatic music. The range of music written since 1800 is, however, vast. Your best bet, if you are new to classical music, is to buy one of these classical sampler CD nox sets that you can pick up v. cheaply (entitled 'your 1000 favourite classical tunes' or whatever). Listen through these and see which ones you like the best, and then search out those composers in well-recorded versions.

If you want a recording with a big dynamic range that will stretch your system, try any of the solo piano recordings made by Evgeny Kissin for Red Seal. If you can't constantly hear the piano in mid-distance (i.e. it doesn't 'leap forward' at the loud bits) then your system ain't right.

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Any of Sergei Rachmaninov's Symphonies or Piano Concerto's will have plenty of dynamic passages. Telarc CD-80312, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Symp. #2, is very good.

7. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit