Dynamic DNS help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Eric_L, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I need to create a web server for my business. It will be used only by 3-4 employees so bandwidth is no prob. The software I am running requires either a static IP or a URL. (ACT! for web) Forgive me if I screw up any of the language - I am new at server-speak.

Anyhow - here are a couple options they gave me to run a server on a dynamic IP. They say it works like call forwarding so when my IP changes it will still be locateable to the users.

http://www.no-ip.com/services/page/free/dynamic/dns
    http://dynamicdns.constanttime.com/
    http://www.tzo.com/Concepts/StaticIP/static-ip.html

Does any one here have any thoughts on these? I am a bit concerned about privacy on the free one, and know little about the rest. Are there better ones?

Please share your thoughts. Thanks

2. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I have tried both no-ip and dyndns. Initially I liked no-ip alot but I had problems with its client under linux so I switched to dyndns, both work extremely well under xp though and are free.

http://www.dyndns.org

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I've been using dyndns.org for a few years now with no issues.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Dyndns is excellent. My firewall has a plugin for it even, makes it easier to maintain vpn connections.

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Dyndns is pretty good.

You may also want to monitor your connection to see if, indeed, your IP changes. I supposedly have DHCP but in the 2 years I've had my connection, it's never changed.

Also, ask your ISP how much more it would cost for a static IP. In my area. some ISPs offer then at VERY reasonable rates DSL.

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Heck, if you get SBC dsl 1.5/256 around here it's $30 a month and they throw in the static ip.

I've been on three different subnets of roadrunner, the first one my ip changed once in a year, they second probably once a month, and I swear this one changes even if I just unplug the modem for something. One day they were working on it and it kept going out and the damn thing kept changing so fast that dyndns couldn't keep up.

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

DSL costs me $49 monthly - $30 for the service and $19 for the IP. I may upgrade it now to the next higher level of DSL (not the one near T1, but the 'middle' one. I forget what the speed is. Right now I have the 'slow' DSL.) I will only do it because I can deduct my DSL on taxes and use the extra bandwidth to host a RENEGADE server! woo hoo!

RENEGADE

Are there any other URL providers out there? Also I am curoius, what is the difference between URL and DNS. I have no idea what the abbreviations are for.

8. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I'll qint for dyndns.org. I use them as well.

9. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator. DNS stands for Domain Name Service. URL is the term used to describe hyperlinks, and DNS is the name of the protocol that allows computers to translate memorable URL names to ip addresses, sort of like an address book.

So the word you're probably looking for is domain name.

10. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter