Dynaco?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

For those who are old enough, you will surely remember Dynaco. The company has been quiet for a number of years, and I was thinking it was gone for good. So today I was rather surprised when I came across this site. Yes, it's Dynaco. No, not the original company, but the Panor version. And they are making home theater/digital gears. Even the passive QD2 surround decoder is still available, which I keep hearing as the best surround processor for music. Check it out!

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Ah, Dynaco. Dynaco got me into hifi. I've owned and enjoyed many Dynaco products: an SCA-35, Stereo 70, PAS-3, PAT-4, Stereo 120, FM-3, FM-5, Stereo 410, A-10 speakers. Dynaco products made it possible for me to build an excellent stereo for a very reasonable price when I was a teenager. But the current version isn't even a shadow of itself. They really should be duplicating some of the classic designs such as the Stereo 70, Mark IV or Stereo 400.
    Now Hafler is a company which is more true to the roots of Dynaco (David Hafler founded Dynaco). They still make big brute amps with endless power reserves. They've gone to pro audio now, but the philosophy seems to remain. I used to have a Hafler DH-101 pre amp. What a wonderful sounding piece that was.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Yes, my first speakers (beyond the plastic turntable+speakers hand-me-down box from my sister) were a pair of Dynaco bookshelves. Can't remember the model number, but had them connected to a Sherwood receiver with a Dual turntable. Served me well through high school and my first 2 years of college. Even reused them for a while 15 years later for light duty as surrounds in a short-lived DPL setup.

Doug

4. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I still have a file containing Dynaco brochures from the early 70's. I think I still have a manual for the Pat 4 and the SCA-80Q. I built the stereo 70, the 80Q and the Pat 4. I had a used Pas 3X for the 70 during the 1970s. The trouble is that it is too hot in S. Florida to use devices such as these to fight with your air conditioner that is struggling to keep you house cool against the intense Fla. sunshine.

My brother in NYC during the 70s had a factory built stereo 120 and Pat 4. On Heil 3 3 way air motion speakers, the sound quality was quite intense.

I thought that the Pat 4 may be the best pre-amp of all time in one specific area; the phono section. There was circuitry on that board in the phono section but not found in the 80Q which claimed to used the same boards. When one plays a vinyl disc on just about every amp or receiver that had a phono input, it was not unusual to hear a fluttering of the sound from vinyl records. Some cartridges had more rigid or "damped" styli then other others which also affected this factor. If you took your speaker grills off, you would see your woofers fluttering. If you had a low-filter on your amp or receiver, this would stop some of the fluttering at the expense of the sound of the bass. The Pat 4 did have a low-filter but I never had to use it. In comparison to all the other phono sections I had tried, somehow the 4 reduced the fluttering by my estimates 80 percent without sacrificing the bass. If I were going to transfer vinyl to tape or CD-R, this is the unit to use.

Some outfit in Ohio bought the stock of Dynaco after it went bankrupt. I was able to get a QD-1 without the metal case. I put it together to see what it could do. I was not impressed. The biggest fault was that they actually had a 20 ohm resistor wired in series with your main loudspeaker. That resistor wastes alot of power. I do not know whether the QD-2 was set up that way.

Hafler had a few different dynaquad circuits going. The real important one can be found in a diagram in the Pat-4 manual. The only thing is that its application is wrong and can strain a poweramplifier's section. What Hafler did not realize is that he had created a passive surround circuit that had rears and a center channel. I even got this circuit under a certain condition to give me a center channel with split surrounds while reproducing "phantom" left and right stereo channels.

February of 2002 marked the 15th year that I had figured most of this out(in 1987). For 15 years I have enjoyed natural 5 channel sound from a two channel source on my living room system which is great for music depending on how it was mixed or recorded including SQ or QS, pretty darn good for 2 channel surround sound from movies and 5 channel sound from a two channel stereo microphone used in the field on home videos shot in linear or hi-fi stereo.