What's new

Dylan Remasters: Worth Buying If I Don't Have An SACD Player? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I don't have an SACD player, but I'm really tempted to buy a few of the Dylan Remasters, especially The Freewheelin... and Highway 61 Revisited. Is the improvement over the original CD's worth it if I'll just be listening to the CD layer, since I don't own an SACD player?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I never had the "original" CD's. I had the original vinyl.;) I've listened to some tracks from the CD layer of both those albums when dubbing an MD and they sound very good. I'd also highly recommend JOHN WESLEY HARDING and NASHVILLE SKYLINE.:)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have some of the stuff on CDs and have listened a little to the CD layer and think it certainly is an improvement. Both the hybrids you noted sound good. It is a question of whether you have the CDs and how much you like the albums. I have CDs that I have rebought on SACD and others where I can live with the CD I have. Andrew, if you get down by way (you're not that far), come have a listen.

Jesse Lawson

Agent
I don't have an SACD player either, but I thought the CD layer on Blonde on Blonde sounded far better than the older CD, having much more depth. I can never think of ways to describe sound except in terms of depth, warmth, brightness, clarity, etc., and sometimes I wonder if I'm actually saying anything at all by using those adjectives, but I definitely thought the improvements made it worth buying a second time. I'm not sure I understood the rational for splitting it between two discs, though — theoretically a capacity issue with the two layers of SACD. In any case, it mirrors the original double album, and the retail price is only a dollar or two above the other albums (which are kinda expensive — wish other majors would jump on Universal's lower-prices bandwagon). There are no additional liner notes or anything, but the digipacks look a lot nicer than the old CDs.

I used to have the old CD of Highway 61 and somehow never got into it, so I sold it. When the reissue came out, I decided to give it another try and couldn't believe I hadn't liked it before. I'm not sure if this is attributable to improvements in sound quality, but they couldn't have hurt. Grey Cavitt's review at Musictap that the sound on either layer of Freewheelin' was a considerable improvement on the old CD and even the LP:

He goes on to say that the SACD layer is even better, of course...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Word of warning:

you may experience a problem if you're trying to play them on a DVD player, as with many hybrids. If you are, then make sure you buy it from somewhere that'll allow you to exchange/return.

A friend of mine picked up Blood on the Tracks hybrid, and the CD layer won't play on his 1 year old DVD player.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I have no use for the SACD layer, but the redbook layers of Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde sound much better than the previous redbook releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks