Dying Toshiba SD-2108?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul.S, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Howdy, guys:
    I have an idea as to what the verdict will be on this, but would still like to hear from anyone who's perhaps had similar experiences with their (Tosh?) DVD player.
    I've had my SD-2108 since December 1998. Within the first year of ownership, I had the firmware upgrade performed which supposedly rectified the problem some Toshiba players were having playing back early hybrid (DVD-V discs with DVD-ROM content) discs, such as Alien. (My player tracked the disc fine, but I figured that there was no harm in going ahead and having the upgrade performed, especially given that Tosh paid for return shipping . . . and I got a free, second remote out of it). [​IMG]
    Starting about five weeks ago, my player started behaving as though it was attempting to play a scratched disc even though the disc was clean. It produced loud popping noises when playing back undamaged DVDs, and later, CDs. Shortly thereafter, the audio playback would have signal amplitude-related static distortion. By "signal amplitude-related," I mean that the static was not constant: if I was listening to a rock CD with a prominent kick drum for instance, the static would pulse in time/relation to that bass drum. This distortion would last for approximately five minutes, until the player perhaps "warmed up," and then playback would be static-free (albeit with the aforementioned, intermittent popping noises).
    Of late (over the past two weeks), the player's audio playback of DVDs has become even more dodgy: after producing loud ticking and popping like a bad stylus on a badly-scratched record while playing clean, undamaged DVDs, the player will often cease playing audio entirely, whilst continuing to play back video. The player will also sometimes drop video frames: it will play back video (sans audio) as though you have invoked a video feature that causes the player to only playback, say, every other or every fourth frame.
    CD playback is still unreliable (characterized by loud ticking and popping when playing back discs), but more reliable than DVD playback.
    So it sounds like the laser is going bad, which I've learned in 13 years of CD player ownership means that it would probably be most cost-effective to just buy a new player.
    Has anyone had similar problems with their (Toshiba) DVD player? If so and you took it in for repair, what was the prognosis? Have I just been handed an excuse to step up my research on what SACD/DVD-V/A player I wanna buy?

2. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Howdy again, guys:
    Wow--in all my years on HTF, this is the first time that I've started a thread and received no replies. Just figured I would bounce the thread back up to the top of the pile one last time in case anyone with insightful comments missed it two weeks ago.
    My SD-2108's behavior has not improved: CDs still only play intermittently/randomly--it likes some, but not others. DVD playback has worsened--the player basically will not get past a few seconds of play before dropping audio and freezing video. Of note is that the 'frozen' video is not the digital tiling up which many of us are familiar with. The picture sometimes freezes with lines of horizontal noise/distortion going across (parts of) the picture.
    Anyone?

3. Tony Richardson

Paul,

I had a similiar problem with my old Toshiba 3006. I removed the cover and cleaned the laser pickup lens with a q-tip and distilled water and the player worked fine after that.

I do this about every six months and have never had a problem since. Hope this helps.

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Tony:

Thanks very much for the reply.

Of course, I am going to try the lens cleaning remedy. But what I don't understand is why--if the audio and video playback problems I am experiencing are related to dirty lenses--why does CD playback improve after about 10 minutes of (static-filled) playback? It's almost as though the player needs to warm up, which of course does not quite make sense if the problem is caused by dirt on the lens(es). (Can a player's ability to track through a dirty lens improve once warmed up??) We'll see what happens after the cleaning.

Regardless, thanks much for your reply/input.

Cheers,

Paul

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Tony:

So, go figure: after using compressed air, Q-tips and distilled water to clean both lasers, DVD playback is now fine , but CD playback is worse. CD playback no longer gets better after about 5-10 minutes of play--it just stays static-filled.

I've been advised by a friend to use a lens cleaner instead of distilled water. Am gonna try cleaning the CD lens again . . .

Cheers,

Paul

6. James Mitchell

Hey Paul,

Lately I've been having similar problems with my Toshiba SD - 2109, which I purchased back in 1999. I hope cleaning the lens will help, but I'm a little nervous about doing it myself and am not quite sure on how I should clean it without damaging it. If your able to fix it, I'd like to know your technique. Good Luck

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Jim et al.:
    Here's a cut and paste of some advice I got from an electrical engineer friend of mine regarding cleaning that I found helpful:

8. James Mitchell

Paul,

Thanks for that advice, I have some lens cleaner kicking around somewhere, so I'll have to give that a try tomorrow. Hopefully it will help (and I won't damage the lens).

9. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    James: