What's new

Dyeing Loudspeakers (1 Viewer)

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
So I just blacked out the front of my home theater room around the screen and five feet out into the room on the side walls and ceiling (buck a yard or so flat black fabric from Wal-Mart and some tacks). But my towers and center are very light wood-grain vinyl clad. Not good. The reflections are very distracting. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to how to dye the vinyl to a much darker shade? Local Lowes and Menards say they can't help me with anything they carry. I'm pretty sure traditional wood staining products won't work. Magic Markers?

Greg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How about covering them with the same fabric and some double stick tape or something similar (that way they aren't permanently altered)? I haven't heard of any good ways to dye vinyl covering, short of painting them.

LOL, Sharpies would take a LONG time...

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Vinyl covered speakers can be successfully painted to match most any decor.

Using Spray Paint

To ensure proper paint adhesion use a pre-primer product by the name of "Bull Dog" adhesion spray. It's available at most any automotive parts store, specifically - Pep-boys, O'Reilly's, Autozone. Next, apply two coats of a good grade primer, say, Krylon Grey then apply a corresponding Krylon top coat, for example, Krylon Semi-Black.

Using Brushed On Finish

If you must use brush on paint use only a superior brand such as Lambert's (Ace Hardware), Sherwin Williams, Premium American Standard (Lowe's) or any of the designer name brands. Use latex base paints. Begin with a primer followed by the top coat. The quality of your brush is very, very important when painting on vinyl. Use either a premium "foam" brush or premium latex brush.

Best of luck.
LP

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Do as Louis suggests or scuff the vinyl and apply some roll on truck bed liner.

-Dave

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

I don't think my roller expertise is up to using the bed liner, but it is a novel suggestion that I never would have considered. Using the fabric is something that I have considered, and I may still use that approach as a temporary fix. I could cover the tops and sides, but those few square inches of front would have to go untreated.

The entire process involving paint looks to be the best, most permanent, and most time-consuming (several days) way to go. At least it would give me the opportunity to compare a few pairs of older bookshelf speakers in storage while the towers are being refinished.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Just a quick note, my Infinity Alpha's - front, surrounds, surround backs and center were all originally black. After much work the speakers are now a beautiful "old world mahogany" which perfectly compliments the finish of our fine mahogany wood TV/Audio Stand.

I can provide detailed instructions on how to achieve this type of finish if anyone is interested.

LP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks