DVRs / PVRs in Canada...?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin/Da, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Kevin/Da

Kevin/Da Auditioning

I'm relocating to Canada (Toronto area) next spring and I'm wondering what my DVR options will be there. I have TiVo here in Chicago, but TiVo and ReplayTV don't exist in Canada (yet?). From what I've seen, DVRs are just starting to catch on there.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Cory B

Cory B Extra

I'd recommend holding on to your Tivo for now. They can still work in Canada with only a little effort. I can't post html yet, but if you do a search (slowest) of the forums for "tivo Canada" you will find the links for where to go.

As for other options, there isn't too much to choose from, but apparently Shaw has just released an HD cable box/DVR for around $800 CAN. I believe it is a pretty basic DVR though, so as I said, don't sell the Tivo just yet...

3. France_G

France_G Auditioning

Hey Kevin. Don't get rid of your Tivo! There are guys here in Vancouver (and I'm sure many in TO) that can hook you up with a Direct subscription. I'm unsure exactly how it works, but it's run legitimately through the US - perhaps a company or individual there. You may need to buy a virgin P4 or P5 card, but they're cheap - around $30-50 CDN.

I understand that there's no P4 hack yet - which, yes, is obstensibely illegal and a royal pain in the ass as with the old cards, the system got hit at least a few times a week.

This way, you pay for a subscription through these guys (our guy charges for 4 months at a time) and it never goes down.

Obviously, this is now - and who knows how long it will take for the Canadian CRTC to intervene and come up with some way to cut this off as well.

Post a note here when you get to Toronto and I'll find out if "my guy" knows a "TO guy" to help you out!

Hope your move goes well!

4. Kevin/Da

Kevin/Da Auditioning

Thanks for the info. At this point I'm really just trying to get an idea of what's available in CA. Hopefully there will be more by next year when I get there!

I will post again when I actually move.

Thanks!

5. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Well in the Toronto area you should have access to Rogers Cable. They have a regular and an HD PVR out now. I'm using the HD PVR and am pretty happy with it.
    Bell Expressvu (satellite equal to Dishnet hardware) has a PVR out right now and will be releasing the dual tuner PVR in the next couple of months.
    Star Choice (another satellite company) who use Motorola equipment are releasing an HD PVR very soon as well, so there are a lot of options for you.

6. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

If you move to Toronto your cable will be "Rogers Cable" here’s a link http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cabl...v_services.asp

All of the immediate suburbs to Toronto have Rogers Cable as well. If you move to an area Like Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, Milton, Halton Hills ect. you will have Cogeco Cable. Here is a link.
    http://www.cogeco.ca/en/index_o.html

Here are the links to the "Legal" Satellite options.

http://www.starchoice.ca/

and

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf

If you visit China Town you can find out about your "Other" Satellite options. (Dish Network, Direct TV)

I know Rogers, Cogeco, and Bell all have some type of PVR. I am not sure about Starchoice.

I use Cogeco Cable and have a Motorola 6208 HDTV PVR. You can buy it for $749.00 or rent it for $19.95 a month. (Can$)