What's new

DVR with 1080i + surround recording? (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Right now, I'm looking into DVR devices that also have live TV viewing capabilities. I was nearly sold on the Amazon FireTV Recast until I learned that it only records in 720p. Also, the four tuners are not completely independent; only two may be used for recording at a time, and two for watching at a time.

I currently have a simple HomeWorx tuner/DVR box, but it has poor remote ergonomics and it doesn't preserve the Dolby Digital bitstream from broadcast TV when recording. It also doesn't integrate with streaming devices like Roku or Amazon FireTV.

I haven't been able to find it, but is there a DVR that does all of the following?

- 3-4 independent tuners that can be used for any combination of watching and recording
- Preserves Dolby Digital audio and 1080i signals (not just 720p) when recording broadcast TV
- Has an app for Roku or FireTV that allows watching live TV or recorded shows
- Works well with over-the-air antenna

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TIVO has devices that check all the boxes, except maybe for the app. I don’t know that you’re going to find anything compatible with Roku or Firestick, as those are stand-alone products.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Wayne - the reason I brought up Roku / FireTV Stick is because of how the Amazon DVR works. It works as a stand-alone device not directly connected to any TV. It re-streams recorded TV shows or live TV broadcasts. But the 720p is a deal-breaker in this age of 4K displays.

Maybe I'll have to limp along with my HomeWorx box until ATSC 3.0 devices are out... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks