What's new

DVR to TV Feed? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kosmoski

Auditioning
I was surprised for my bithday (by my wife no less) with a 47" Sony Grand Wega installed by the local electronics store only to find when I moved my TV into my new HT that I just have coaxial feeds from my DirecTV DVR into my TV. What is the best way to route the video from my DVR into the TV? I don't want to go through my reciever only to make it a bit easier for my wife & kids to watch TV w/o touching the receiver.

Can I upgrade to S-Video or composite and still have my DVR function properly?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Are you talking about a Digital Video Recorder or just the Direct TV receiver? I would assume a DVR would have component as well as S-video and composite connections. I know that my Dad's Direct TV receiver only has a coaxial feed to his TV but I find it hard to believe that a DVR would not have other types of outputs to the TV.:frowning:

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Brian,

Your DVR should have S-video output, so go ahead and use it. I doubt it has component out, but it might.

Actually, routing the video through the receiver makes things easier since you only have to change the input on the receiver (and not on the TV) when you change sources.

--Nathan

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

But the point was for the wife and kids not to use the receiver - at all. He wants them to be able to just "watch TV" and playback from the TiVO. No reason not to use the s-video or even the RCA composite cable in to one of the TV inputs. (Along with the audio cables.) The DirecTiVO receiver/DVR combo is a single unit with one set of outputs that carries the signal from both the satellite receiver and the DVR. (I have a stand-alone TiVO and cable. My parents have had DirecTiVO in their bedroom for almost two years, and I just gave my mother another one for her sitting room for Christmas.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks