What's new

DVR record 1 channel while watching another (1 Viewer)

MikePL

Auditioning
Hi,

We just dumped our cable provider and got DirecTV. It now appears that we can no longer record one channel while watching another. We have a dual tuner TV (1995 Sony XBR)

However, we are also in the market for a good DVR (hard disk, Svideo, two tuners, etc). and wonder if there is a DVR feature(s) that will allow us to regain our ability to watch one channel while recording another (on DirecTV)? At this time wo do not want TIVO.

Perhaps we just need to correctly setup our Directv? Or will the DVR help us….?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Why on earth would you not want Tivo? The DirecTV model gets you everything you want. It's cheaper than any standalone DVR, and lets you record two channels while watching either, or a third previously recorded program.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, I can tell you why I wouldn't want TIVO. The membership cost alone turns me off. My SA 8300HD PVR does exactly the same thing as the TIVO for only $4.99 a month more since I already had Hi-Def service. Mike at this point, if you have just the Direct TV service, then you can't watch one program and record another. Too bad, because with cable you could do it with a VCR or DVDR and a good signal splitter.:frowning:

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

This is just completely wrong. The DirecTV DVR w/ Tivo provides dual recording, for $50(new sub) = $99, plus $5/month. To record two programs simultaneously all you need to do is run two coax lines from the multiswitch or dual LNB dish to the box.

For people with high-def cable, I agree Tivo's offerings right now aren't that attractive. But this is not the case with DirecTV.

For analog cable, a it's closer call. Cable DVR usually runs from $10-$15/month, but that's forever. A Tivo is about $350-400 with lifetime service, no monthly cost, which would be cheaper after a few years. Drawback is no dual recording, but it has much better search features, more reliable software, plus capabilities to transfer video to PCs & stream music/photos from PC->Tivo.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, if you read his post it says he does't have a TIVO on his DirectTV. So with this setup, he can't record one program and watch another unless he has another tuner such as one in a VCR or DVDR.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I read his post; that is why I recommended he get the DirecTV DVR w/ Tivo. It's relatively cheap, it's the best DVR available for DirecTV, & it solves his problem of being able to watch one / record another. It's hard to come up with a good reason why someone with DirecTV who is looking for a standard definition DVR shouldn't get this one. High definition is another ball of wax.

You were telling him why you wouldn't get Tivo. None of the reasons you gave apply to his situation. Service cost is less than the SA8300HD, cost of the box is not high, and you can record & watch another. He can't use the SA anyway since he went with DirecTV. His only DVR options other than the Tivo or the upcoming NDS integrated DVR/sat receiver boxes are standalone models from Tivo/Replay that are more expensive, have higher service costs, worse recording quality, and don't solve the watch one / record another problem.

So tell me again why he shouldn't get DirecTV DVR w/ Tivo?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Stephen, he asked a couple of questions and specifically said he DID NOT WANT TIVO. Sheesh, if someone doesn't want the thing why try to convince him to get it? I addressed his PVR question that's all. You sound like one of the guys who who recommends a 500 dollar DVD player when the poster says he can only afford 100 bucks!!! The only two sentences that address his questions are at the very end of the second paragraph of your post. Get a grip dude, nobody is slamming TIVO. Just answer the questions.:frowning:

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Maybe he doesn't want Tivo for the wrong reasons. He didn't articulate why he specifically didn't want Tivo.

How is my post even remotely like recommending a $500 DVD player to someone with budget of $100? My recommendation is cheaper than other options. He said he wants a DVR, and he said he wants to record one and watch another. The Tivo does exactly what he said he wants, and is cheaper than all other DVRs that can be used with DirecTV. Other solutions are more expensive, and don't address his needs. So even though he said he doesn't want Tivo, I am trying to convince him that he is wrong about that, since it does exactly what he said he is looking for, at an affordable price.

I did answer his questions, by pointing him in the right direction. You are the one who sidetracked by feeding misinformation, and mentioning the SA 8300HD which does nothing to help him since it's not a DirecTV compatible product.

Then you say:
Which is incomplete ... with DirecTV as the sole programming source, if not getting the Tivo DVR combo model which solves all problems, you need a second satellite tuner (+ pay an additional monthly program mirror fee) to watch & record another. The one in a VCR or DVD-R won't help, as it only tunes NTSC off cable or antenna.

Since you can't seem to give a complete, accurate answer, maybe you shouldn't be telling me to "just answer the questions".

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
All the guy wanted to know is why he can't watch one program and record another AND suggestions for a PVR. Pal, you are the one who started the TIVO spiel. Just answer the damn question. I did, I told him why he can't watch and record at the same time and which PVR I had experience with. Sheesh, do you work for TIVO or something. . PS: He didn't want to be pointed in the "right" direction. Your "right" direction is clearly not his. He clearly stated he doesn't want TIVO, or did that hurt your ego. Get a grip pal, and go hug your TIVO.:D

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I guess trying to use logic to argue against the illogical is just a total waste of time. Let me end this by summing up: My solution works, records 2 shows at once, is cheapest, and meets all of the original poster's requirements, except for it happening to be a Tivo. Your solution doesn't work with DirecTV at all. How exactly are you helping him?

MikePL

Auditioning
Thanks for the assistance.

From my research, it appears that the only way for a Directv subscriber to record one channel while watching another is:

-Directv’s DVR with TIVO, or
-hooking up a 2nd Directv receiver, or
-adding an antenna or cable feed

No current stand alone DVD Recorder will meet our goal..

$#@#!

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
yeah you could get another direct tv receiver and hook it up to your tv.. but thats about $5 a month also

I was for a long time against getting a tivo due to the high membership fee.. yearly or monthly its high..

when I found out it only costs $5 a month for tivo with directv..I jumped at the chance.

so if the price is the only thing holdng you back..
we're just letting you know tivo is cheap with direct tv.

thanks to info from the people here I was able to get
2 direct tv with tivo units for $100 -$50 rebate at the time..
came out to $25 each unit.

MikePL

Auditioning
Wow, these forums are helpful.

Anzimike (in the Videohelp.ocm DVD Recorder forum) said “…. model offered by direct tv has twin tuner, but requires two seperate inputs from dish (need dual lnb dish).”

We have an “integrated triple lnb” dish with 3 coaxial lines leaving the dish and entering our basement. This appears to be different type of dish?

A market may be emerging for a DVD recorder that would allow DirecTV users the ability to record one channel (or more) while watching another channel(bypassing TIVO). Perhaps such an effort might need to be coordinated with DirecTV - I’ll need %10 percent as the idea man :).

The DirecTV/TIVO option does seem viable. It is (currently) inexpensive and has lots of true believers. However, either DirecTV or TIVO, or both, could decide to raise the monthly rate (after one year).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks