DVR quick question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrinH, Oct 3, 2002.

1. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Are there any Digital Video Recorders on the market that work like a VCR, or do they all require subscriptions to their service in order to record?
    I know nothing about these and all I would like it to do is record cable TV and satellite programs.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Darrin: I think your are talking about PVR's' - Personal Video Recorders.
    There are roughly 2 types of recorders:
    - Analog (Tivo, ShowStopper): These recorders take an analog signal from your CATV/DSS system and record it. But they have to take the analog feed and convert it to digital. They usually have a small monthly fee for an interactive program guide so you can point-and-click what you want to record.
    - Digital: These recorders come from your Sat company. (Direct is called "DirectTivo", Dish has the PVR's). These recorders DO NOT take the analog feed from your CATV system. Instead, they record the digital bits from the sat system EXACTLY as they are broadcast. This means no extra conversion - higher quality. The Digital units are part of the sat system so the program guide tends to be included free.
    Of the two, I prefer the pure-digital units for the higher quality and ease of use.
    Hope this helps.

3. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator

I have a DirecTivo (Sony) unit but I have to pay for the Tivo service. When you sign up for Tivo service you can pay $250 for lifetime or $10 a month. I received a notice from DirecTV yesterday that the $10 fee is dropping to $5 starting in November. It had something to do with a new "closer" relationship between Tivo and DriecTV. In either case you must pay to have the Sat/Tivo units work. If you don't pay for the Tivo service, you can't use the PVR, only the Sat receiver will work. (I think DirecTV actually refers to them as DVRs in the mailing).
    I don't know for sure about the stand-alone (Analog) Tivo units but I've heard that they will not work if you don't pay for the service. Someone with experience with this version can better help you.
    Dave

4. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

The Series 1 SA TiVos allow you to record without a subscription, although you get a nag screen. The Series 2 SA TiVos won't allow you to use them without a subscription. Series 1 TiVos are no longer in production, although you can pick them up through places like Ebay.

The beauty of TiVo, and the like, is not the VCR-like function but all of the other incredible functions it has. Once you TiVo, you'll never want to watch "live" TV again!