What's new

DVR Needed for Olympics and I'm Clueless (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
meep.

I loathe sports. Football bores me to mummification and basketball is like embalming. I've never been sport-oriented. The idea of sports bars repulses me.

Yet....

I'm an Olympics junkie. Once every two years I go bananas and become enslaved to the Olympics. I try to catch at least a little of every event and keep track of medal counts as if they were baseball stats.

It's sick, I know. :crazy:

So what I'm interested in is a DVR. I'd like something that can record multiple channels (not necessarily at the same time) and hold maybe 12 hours of programming a day; more would be better. Digital sound and component outputs would be nice but they're not essential. I would prefer not to have to pay a monthly service fee. I have Cablevision's Digital iO with their HD box.

Is there anything like that? I've seen DVD recorders but am wondering if they hold enough hours. I think I'd have to go with a hard drive-based model.

I can also build a computer. I have enough parts to put together a PC so if the pre-made boxes are too expensive I could build my own. I'm a PC technician so it's not out of my ability. Depends on costs and features really.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and leave a reply if you have any ideas.

:)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A computer based PVR will hold a lot and you can edit the video and archive it to DVD. Check the HTPC section here for more info.

-Robert

Gene S

Agent
Something that might effect your decision..
NBC is doing very little of the olympics in HD this year. I think I've read only 12 hours worth.

Cheapest way I know now, is to get a 40hr refurbed Tivo for $100. (Includes the 50 buck rebate). Wait 30 days to make sure its not a dud then upgrade to bigger hard drives(around $160-200). Then you've got 240 hours to play around with.

Whoops, I mispoke. I just read that the "major" events will be in HD. About 6-8 hours a day.

Chris*K

Auditioning
I have iO Digital Cable but no HD.

Supposedly iO is coming out with a PVR "sometime this year," but nobody there knows or will say when.

I have a StandAlone TiVo that works great with iO digital (remember, I don't have HD -- don't know how that would work). If you got one (about $150, less if you get refurb from TiVo's site), you could pay the Lifetime Activation ($299), and then add a second hard drive to upgrade the storage space. I did this, and currently my TiVo can record 189 hours at work quality, about 53 at best.

This would probably be your best bet, but it doesn't have dual tuners, so you can't record two different channels at the same time. As Robert_J noted, it will record on any channel you get as long as it's one-at-a-time. For a TiVo dual tuner, you'll have to get DirecTV.

ck

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks