DVR affects how networks aired big shows this Thanksgiving?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see that CBS and ABC had broadcast their biggest shows this Thanksgiving Weekend as first run episodes. And they were special ones too, CSI with a somewhat unique story and a special guest star, Roger Daltry and opposite it was Grey's Anatomy with a pivotal story that required an additional 10 minutes.

I don't watch NBC much so perhaps they broadcast some first run shows too.

Has the new shift to DVR, TIVO, and HTPC's altered the way the networks think about scheduling their shows and how they understand the audiences are time shifting? Have they just figured the audience has these shows set in their recording schedules and it doesn't matter when they air them?

And they make the shows available on-line to view from ABC for free, or you can download them from iTunes for example too.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Networks care about the number of eyeballs on their show when it airs. It'll be interesting to see how the ratings for first-run Thanksgiving Day evening shows turn out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's a large number of people sitting in front of a TV on Thanksgiving night so running a new episode is a good move. CBS ran CSI last year on Thanksgiving and if they're running it again, it must have gotten viewers the first time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From what I can tell, viewership was only down 10% (from last few weeks) for CSI and Grey's Anatomy, and ER and Shark had consistent ratings compared to other weeks.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, I was surprised to see that the late night shows were all first runs as well.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davefromlondon