DVR-510H-S Questions...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andrew Beckmen, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Andrew Beckmen

Andrew Beckmen Stunt Coordinator

1: Do I have to worry about copy protection for TV shows? I plan on recording Stargate SG-1 and other shows, compiling a few episodes and burning DVDs so I have the shows on a non-degrading format. If this falls through, I am loosing my main reason for getting this thing

2: The DVR-520H-S seems to be the same thing with a new case and 200 bucks less. What is the differance between these models?

3: Pioneer's site lists IEE-whatever as one of the features. Does this or doesn't it have FireWire?

Thanks again.

2. Andrew Beckmen

Bump

3. Andrew Beckmen

Nobody here owns this model?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I don't have the unit, but the answer to your first question is "no". It's possible to record several different TV episodes, eliminate the commercials and then burn them to DVD. I do it all the time.

M.

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Is it possible to eliminate commercials on the Pioneer models, as can be done on the Panasonic HDD models? I understand that if something was recorded using TIVO, the commercials cannot be edited out, but I am not 100% certain of this.

6. Andrew Beckmen

I actually read on another thread that you can edit out commercials using the chapter edit thing. Put a chapter mark at the begining of the commercials, and another at the end, then go back and delete that whole chapter. I obviously haven't tried this, but it sounds like it works fine, and you can frame-by-frame it to get it JUST the way you want it.

7. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Andrew,

Were you able to find out the differences between the 510 and 520?

I tried to hold off on getting a DVD recorder for a while, but I must say it’s appealing to me more and more. I basically want to get one with a hard drive to record everything, and transfer certain things onto disc to keep. (Don't need TIVO.) I’m still trying to research the various media types, as I may want to lend recorded programs to someone – am I right in concluding that DVD-R format is the most compatible with existing players?

Thanks, everyone, for any input!

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Andrew,

Were you able to find out the differences between the 510 and 520?

I tried to hold off on getting a DVD recorder for a while, but I must say it’s appealing to me more and more. I basically want to get one with a hard drive to record everything, and transfer certain things onto disc to keep. (Don't need TIVO.) I’m still trying to research the various media types, as I may want to lend recorded programs to someone – am I right in concluding that DVD-R format is the most compatible with existing players?

Thanks, everyone, for any input!

9. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I wasn't able to access the Pioneer site earlier, but one difference in the specs between the 510HS and 520HS is in the copy speed:

510HS: DVD-R x 4, DVD-RW x 2
    520HS: DVD-R x 8, DVD-RW x 4

Everything else seems the same, though the 520HS has a $200 lower MSRP. Cheaper replacement model in that line?

Also, oddly, the ONLY place that I can find the 520 for sale is at Crutchfield.

10. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I wasn't able to access the Pioneer site earlier, but one difference in the specs between the 510HS and 520HS is in the copy speed:

510HS: DVD-R x 4, DVD-RW x 2
    520HS: DVD-R x 8, DVD-RW x 4

Everything else seems the same, though the 520HS has a $200 lower MSRP. Cheaper replacement model in that line?

Also, oddly, the ONLY place that I can find the 520 for sale is at Crutchfield.