DVP-NS999ES + SACD samplers.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill Mullin, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new Sony DVP-NS999ES to go with my Sony DA4ES receiver, both which are intended to be used primarily for DVD movies. But since there were 3 sampler SACD's included with the DVD player, I decided to listen to SACD for the first time in my life!

The Sony manuals weren't all that much help, so I had a booger of a time getting things to work correctly! The last hour was spent trying to figure out why the Rolling Stones SACD sampler (the first SACD I opened) was playing back in 2-channel stereo. To make a long story short, I finally discovered that the Stones sampler was most likely not a multi-channel SACD. So my questions are:

1. Was the Stones sampler in fact a 2-channel SACD or did I do something wrong?

2. If it was a 2-ch SACD, why the heck would Sony have ever wanted to use this to demonstrate SACD? The sound was nothing to brag about!!

Thanks, Bill

2. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    Yes, all the Stone's remasters are 2 channel. What Stone's title was it and what were the other two discs you got with the player? I have to ask another stupid question. Were you listening through the analog 6 channel input on your 4ES? If you were listening through a digital connection, that was the CD layer you were listening to.
    I'll assume you were listening to the SACD layer and have to say that if you have the original CD to compare, you would be far more impressed.

Greg

3. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

Hello Greg,

>>>What Stone's title was it>and what were the other two discs you got with the player?