DVL-919 as a DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EmaxJS, May 29, 2002.

1. EmaxJS

EmaxJS Extra

I'm about to get a HDTV ready RPTV, probably the Pioneer SD-533HD5. I already own a DVL-919. My question is is it worth the money to buy a progressive scan DVD player? Will their be a very noticeable upgrade in picture quality from just using the component outs of the DVL-919?

thanks!

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Why dont' you see how the DVL looks first? At Scooterfest we used a DVL-919 and projected on a 30 foot screen it looked stunning for both LD and DVD.

3. David Jones

David Jones Agent

John,
    I've used a DVL-919 with a Pioneer Elite 510 TV for two years and quality of DVD picture is stunning when TV is calibrated and DVD player is set properly. Even purchased a Panasonic RP91 (for progressive scan and aspect ratio control) and found no picture improvement or slight degradation...I sold it and kept the DVL-919. Don't know if you will get the same results, but would recommend you tweak present combo player and your new TV for optimum performance before purchasing a new Progressive scan DVD player.

Cheers...D. Jones

4. Nestor Vargas

If you use the 919 for LD playback I recomend you to get another unit (progresive in your case) because nobady is making Lasserdisc players anymore and doing this will extend the usefull life of the 919. I have one of this units and use it solely for LD.