DVI with CRT RP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark_E, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Mark_E

Mark_E Extra

I have a Toshiba 51HX83 CRT RP with a DVI input. I am thinking of purchasing a DVD played with a DVI output. Since the TV is a CRT set, is there really any advantage in using the DVI connections? I realize that this bypasses the D/A converter of the DVD player, but doesn't a CRT set convert digital signals back to analogue anyway? If I were to keep the component video or s-video connections as it is currently set up, the DVD player converts the digital to analogue signal. By using a DVI cable, would I not just be keeping the signal in the digital domain longer until it reaches the tv's D/A converter? To make a long question short, do CRT based HDTV's have D/A converters?

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

You have a pretty good idea of what is already going on. The signal is of course digital on the DVD. Let us take the analog component route...Digital to analog in DVD player, to display, display needs to upconvert signal to say 540p (Toshiba), thus the signal goes from analog to digital and gets processed (scaled) then goes back to analog to the CRTs.

Recap: D to A, A to D, D to A.

Now if you use DVI, theoretically, it should be digital from the DVD player to the display, upconverted (scaled), then made into analog to the CRTs.

Recap: D to A.

Everytime there is a D to A conversion there is a slight resolution hit in the system, this is usually not too serious and the upconversion is generally worth it in the long run so we accept it. If you can cut out as many conversions as possible it is always better.

Keep in mind that not all Digital outputs are created equal. We are still seeing issues with some of the DVD players on the market and their DVI output, such as black being set at 7.5% instead of 0% amplitude.

Regards,

3. Mark_E

Mark_E Extra

David:

Thanks alot. Are you aware of any other DVD players on the market with DVI outputs other than the Samsung and the V. Inc Bravo?

A friend of mine just purchased a Hitachi LCD rear projection set. Beautiful looking set, however, I still think my Toshiba CRT gives a better picture. Any thoughts?