What's new

DVI: Will it improve Picture Quality or Just Seek to Prevent Pirating? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
A Looking ahead question: if DVI becomes the standard will that provide a superior image compared to how most of us get our digital images now? I read about this on another forum and some suggested DVI would only prevent pirating/copyright issues, not improve picture quality.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It can be both. I don't think DVI will make the picture quality worse than it is with the conventional interfaces (Y-Pb-Pr, etc), but it (DVI with HDCP, i.e. DVI-CP, which adds encryption) does offer the anti-piracy measures that Hollywood so desperately desires.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Over on TheSpot it was about 80-20 that it improves picture quality.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Are much, if any, of those 80% using CRT-based displays? And of those, are many of them using displays that don't force upconversion of 480p signals? And of those, are they all using decent quality cables, not lamp cords?

I can understand noticeable improvements for all others, but not so much w/ CRT-based displays that do 480p natively. That means no Tosh, no Hitachi and no JVC (any others?). I guess CRT-based FP should be excluded also given how highend that would be plus the large display size.

_Man_

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
For digital displays, it absolutely improves picture quality, though how much depends on a few variables.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
QUOTE]For digital displays, it absolutely improves picture quality...[/quote]

That's what the consensus seems to be, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks