1. I was reading a review of a DVI enabled player today and the writer noted that one of the main benefits of DVI was that it skipped the 'digital to analog' conversion, thus producing a picture with fewer artifacts.

I was under the impression that a prog scan player using component video had the same advantage.

True or False?

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure any time a component cable is used, it travels in analog form. Thus, false. Anyone care to prove me wrong?

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Ben you are correct. But most displays will eventually convert to analog in any case--CRT technology is analog, for example.

4. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I have an SDI modded rp82 which remains the same all the way through to my scaler where it is changed to 1080i without a/d d/a.

that connection is used in the broadcast industry where long runs of cable are used and are not subject to deterioration from the source.

I think dvi would be similar because most dvi inputs are hdcp compliant due to the purity of the signal, which means in part that your tv will not accept a normal 720x480p resolution that has been scaled to 1080i through the dvi input, but it should be better than component at the normal rez..

Peter m.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

DVI has the advantage over component video cabling when the video needs to be processed as digital at the destination, such as for scaling.

Component video as we know it, transmitted over three coaxial cables with RCA or BNC plugs, is analog.

Less than optimal cabling or circuitry will degrade DVI also.

DVI comes in a number of discrete "resolutions" including notably 640 x 480 and 720 x 480. IMHO a (n analog) component video connection that preserved all of the (approx.) 720 x 480 resolution from the DVD is better than 640 x 480 DVI.

When a TV has a de-interlacer or a scaler, and also for good comb filters, the video is converted to digital before undergoing those processings. Then the video is converted back to analog if the TV uses CRT's.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Some people are claiming that they get an outstanding picture from the newer DVD players that upconvert to 1080i and output through the DVI interface, even on CRT displays.

What I have read indicates that the debate is still open on DVI/component from sources like the newer HD receivers. Some people are claiming to see a difference and others claim to see no improvement.

8. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if this helps any, but:

I own a Panasonic PL300U (LCD Projector). Using DVI through my HTPC and upscaling looks substantially better than running component from my DVD player.

However, this being said, I have a really big picture (7 feet wide), I doubt this would be noticable on anything less than say, 52".

9. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Folks, keep in mind that almost every HDTV on the market (could be all of them but I'm doing a CYA) will process the input signal in the digital domain prior to final display.

That being the case, even for tube based CRT or 3-tube RPTVs, the incoming component signal would be A/Dd for all video processing before a final D/A before passing to the tube and/or guns.

Regards,

10. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

The question isn't whether or not there would be an improvement in the video with DVI, so much as how great that improvement will be for a particular display. Any display technology that uses pixels will gain a noticeable improvement. This is known to anyone that's ever bought a LCD for a computer and compared the VGA and DVI connections. For a pixel based display, even one as small as 15", will benefit from a DVI connection.

CRT displays should gain a small improvement with DVI, but that depends on what is done with the DVI signal. Some CRT displays convert this to analog before processing which would completely negate the advantage of it. Because of this only those CRT displays that process the signal while it's digital will have a noticeable improvement. This is why some people see no improvement using DVI with their CRT displays.

11. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

According to all the major TV manufactors there is no difference in picture quality. The question has been asked by myself during training classes with technical trainers and they all said that there was no difference. Hooking up a DVI equipt player that outputs 720P or 1080i is a different story entirely.

12. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

I'll just throw in my two cents. Do not assume that DVI is better. I do agree that, in theory and in most implementations, it should be/is. But I know/believe of at least one instance (Pioneer 433/503cmx plasma and A303 card) where there are owners who believe that the DVI offers no increase in picture quality over component.

Regards,
    John Flegert

13. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Remember that there is well-done component and good-enough (poorly done) component, where DVI is DVI (....Not counting any scaling operation - if you consider this as part of DVI - which it really isn't per se.)

Well-done component sourcing requires top-notch video DAC's, video noise reduction, video waveform reconstruction filtering, video bandwidth treatment, etc..

One should compare the best component sourcing they can find/afford with whatever DVI in order to fairly state whether or not "DVI is better than component" on any given display, fixed pixel or otherwise.

i.e. The component coming out of the Ayre D-1, the Denon 3800/9000, the Panasonic RP82, and (potentially) the Denon 5900 should be what's held up against DVI.

(Affordability-wise DVI may cost less $$ than well-done component, however.)

14. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

I would argue the statement that "DVI is DVI"; When looking for the "best picture", the whole video path should be considered. I would say that there is "well done" (or correctly done) DVI just like there is "well done" component. I also believe that you are much more likely to get a "well done" DVI then not.

15. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

I'll jump on the DVI bandwagon here as it applies to fixed pixel displays.

I recently had the chance to see a DVI enabled DVD player connected to a simple EDTV Plasma w/DVI in. The background "noise" in solid color areas (compression artifacts?) was eliminated.

16. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

David,

"The background "noise" in solid color areas (compression artifacts?) was eliminated."

I've read this before about DVI and I find it confusing, as I never see this in my DVD analog component CRT-based RPTV display setup on either solid colors or dark backgrounds. Everything appears solid, pure, and noise free - usually more pristine than in the theaters - or certainly equal to the theaters at the very least.

Where I do see what you're describing is on Sat TV movies where over-compression runs rampant!

I think fixed pixel displays may benefit more from DVI than CRT-based displays. I can't explain technically why this may be the case, though.