DVI vs. Component into a ED Plasma

Discussion in 'Displays' started by william^h, Mar 5, 2004.

1. william^h

william^h Auditioning

I recently purchased a Panasonic 42" ED plasma - I viewed the same HD source simultaneously on both the ED and HD models and couldn't justify the $2k difference in price.

So...

I have a Denon 3803 feeding the plasma via component - it's in another room and I am using the video switching functionality. It works great for DVD, DTV, and my PS2.

I purchased a 30' component video cable to run it all with.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to get a 30' DVI cable to run from the HD DTV box or just run it component through the 3803. I have the HD package just for the reason that the few channels they offer look better than the standard DTV signal.

Since I'm not actually capable of viewing HD (since it's a ED set) - is it worth it to spend the $200+ for a 30' DVI cable? Or will I never notice the difference between DVI and component cables?

Thanks in advance.

2. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the DVI connection should provide a better picture. From what I've heard, DVI makes no real difference on CRTs, but DOES make a difference on plasmas, LCDs, and DLPs since it's feeding a digital signal into a digital device with no analog conversion in between.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I have a 42" ED Panny too (the current generation, 6UY). I've found the quality of the DVI to definitely be better than component for DTV. The difference is not huge though, but it's definitely noticable.