What's new

Dvi Upgradable (1 Viewer)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
What exactly does it mean when a set says that it is "DVI Upgradable"? I understand DVI and the connection that it is, but when a TV such as the Toshiba 42H82 says it is DVI upgradable what is the catch of it not having a true DVI connection?

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
Even Toshiba isn't very descriptive about what this is on their own website. I would have to guess that it has something to do with future digital receivers that have a DVI output being compatible with this TV, since it doesn't have a digital tuner built in.
RichN

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Geoff,
I am getting the 65" toshiba. You should look for the HDX82 model. The difference between the xxH82 and the xxHDX82 is that the HDX has the DVI input already installed. From what I have read. That when you want to upgrade the H82 you need to have it done by a certified tech from Toshiba. Who will do it at their cost. But, no one knows what that cost will be. The HDX's are a little harder to find. But, are not that much more money. Hope this helps.
ps-Their is a lot of discussion of this at www.avsforum.com

Chet Hayes

Agent
I read somewhere where Toshiba had said in a press release that the upgrade will require a service call.

According to The Perfect Vision, Mitsubishi has announced an upgrade module to add tuner, 1394 and copy protection to any of their RPTV's made since 1998. It costs $1000 and is installable at one of their service facilities. If that's any indication, these upgrades aren't going to be cheap.

I initially was thinking of buying the Toshiba 50H82, but am now looking at either the Sony or the Toshiba HX, both of which have DVI/HDCP built in.

The risk you run, is not the digital interface, which you could work around. It's the HDCP copy protection which is part of DVI. This is starting to be built into new set top boxes and TVs. The spec specifcally requires the final decryption be done in the display device, so external add on boxes are not allowed. The result is that without it, there is a very real possibility that in the future you will be unable to see at least some copy protected HD material.

Some on here have argued that it won't happen because of the 3+ million HDTV ready sets already sold. I wouldn't count on it, as they clearly aren't putting DVI/DHCP in without intending to use it for at least some material. And unnoticed in the recent FCC push for integrated tuners was their related proposal requiring DVI/DCHP.

The only possible advantage I can see to the upgrade approach is that as things progress, future interface versions may have improvements, bug fixes etc. So, if you upgrade later, you may get some advantage.

Bottom line, be aware of the facts and make an informed decision.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
In the most recent issue of The Perfect Vision a small article about the new Tosh line states that the DVI upgrade for the H82 models would cost around $300 (roughly the price difference between the H and the HDX models). It will require a service tech to install, but since the price is a wash, I think the smart thing would be to get the H model because DVI may not be needed in the future.

Of course opinions are like... you may not like mine.

Tim_B

Agent
Also, I imagine that there will be a "black box" workaround developed by some creative soul. Remember when they said you can't copy CD's???

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info.

I really love the features, and quality of the TheaterWide series of Toshiba RPTVs. If someone can point me towards any official site regarding the xxHDX82 series that's be appreciated. May as well get DVI already installed and avoid having to pay for the upgrade which could end up costing more.

I'm sure the studios wouldn't mind making all the people who are early adopters of HDTV have to buy new sets all over again, with something like this it's just better to wait until the format is in full swing and you must have the set in order to watch TV at all, at that point there wil be little they can get away changing.

Also, I imagine that there will be a "black box" workaround developed by some creative soul. Remember when they said you can't copy CD's???
Although someone will probably build some kind of decoder and converter it wont be accessable like CD burners are, and even if it was its not a case of backing up your current CDs, this is full fledged piracy so getting past the copy protection will be a almost impossible task for 99.999% of us. May as well just wait and buy a DVI capable set to begin with and not worry about it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Goeff, Here is the link for the model. Also, make sure you haggle where you buy it. I just bought the Toshiba 65HDX82 (65" model) for $2600.00 delivered plus tax from 6th Avenue Electronics. I am sure you can do similar down by you.
Here is the Toshiba link to the 65HDX82:
Link Removed

David_Bl

Grip
I'm curious. I have a TW40X81... any noise about them being upgradeable? Or will I be left out in the cold?

David

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
David,

From what I've read, Toshiba has made the decision not to work on an upgrade for older models. Something to do with the power supply not being able to handle the DVI port. The upgrade for older models would be prohibitively expensive. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it too much, even if DVI wins out it will be years before it's fully implimented. I predict a grandfather period which will last the life of existing equipment without DVI connectors.

just my .02

Brian O

Second Unit
At Onecall, I just got a price quoted of $2879 delivered, no tax, for the Toshiba 65HDX82. The key is for the Cinema Series to have done business with them before because then you can be considered a Retail customer. I have so I am looking to get this very soon.

Toshiba supposedly has the Cinema Series(HDX) only for Retail sale. At Onecall, you also get the 10% off and free delivery like their other Toshibas too. It does not state that on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks