What's new

DVI / Upconversion Questions (1 Viewer)

Jason Burns

Auditioning
Hey fellas..

Two quick questions as I am about to walk out the door to take a look at some new gear, including a next gen dvd player.

My TV has DVI, not HDMI. Can I use an HDMI to DVI cable from the player to my tv and still get the same results?

Next, does this player upconvert standard DVD's to a better pq?

Thanks for helping a new guy out..

Jason

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
So long as your TV’s DVI is HDCP compliant, it will work—if not then it won’t. Unlike HDMI, DVI will only provide video, so you will need to cable audio separately.

In theory DVI might not provide all of the video information that is passed by HDMI. In practice, it is unlikely that you will be able to tell any difference.

Both the Toshiba HD-DVD player and the Samsung Blu-Ray player upconvert DVDs to 1080. The quality of the upconversion is in the eye of the beholder.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
My 65 inch Mitsubishi Diamond is DVI only, but HDCP compliant. I used an HDMI to DVI cable that came with my High Definition Tivo and it works just fine.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Ditto. Except my set is a 60" Sony Grand Wega.

I'm using an AR HDMI to DVI converter and I've been on cloud 9 since. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Lew,

Are you basing this on how DVI is limited to 8 bit color where as HDMI is 10-12 bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks