DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Burkes, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi! How is the quality of connecting a DVI output to HDMI input? I have an Apple PowerBook, and I'm looking into getting the Sanyo HT30744 30" TV for my dorm room. I thought this would be a nice way to have a larger monitor, if the quality will be good enough. I don't need anything too big, and I've read good things about this set. What do you all think? Thanks for any help!

Rob

2. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

Depends on where your dorm room is. It will look great if it's at MSU; quality will suffer at other schools [​IMG] .

I have my Samsung DirecTV receiver connected to my Pioneer Elite RPTV with a DVI to HDMI cable and it looks great on HD channels. SD and analog channels are another story, but it's not the connection at fault.

3. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

I'm sorry...I wasn't clear enough. I want to use the TV as an external monitor for my PowerBook. I'd like to find out what others think of this idea. Thanks!

Rob

btw...

I guess it won't work too well. I'm attending Millsaps College, a small, private, liberal arts college in Jackson, MS. Guess I'm screwed, eh? Lol.

4. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

I just got my DVI-to-HDMI cable from E-Bay (stsi.com's E-Bay store) and paid $25 for a 6-footer. Looks beautiful and carries 1080i no problem. Tough to beat that deal.

Monster's cable is $120. I rub that into the Circuit City and Best Buy guys every chance I get. [​IMG]

5. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

Could be worse...you could be at Belhaven [​IMG] . My sister and my first wife went there.