What's new

DVI to Component (1 Viewer)

Anton

Auditioning
Hi,

I own a Samsung 54 HDTV CRT (4:3) with component inputs but No DVI. Samsung sells a DVD player which upscales to 1080i through DVI-Output (only), and was hoping to use this in my setup.

Is there any DVI to Component adapter/ solutions? Anyway around to get a 1080i source into the HDTV? We have no HDTV programing.

Appreciate your help.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
DVI is a one way digital connection vs. component which is an analog connection. I know there are devices like:

http://www.ati.com/support/connector...eoadapter.html

which are designed for use with a graphics card. If you do a search of the audio video sources threads (vs. tweaks like here) you'll see discussions on the upscaling players that have done upscaling at one point via the component outs. Perhaps just ask what your choices are to do upscaling over the component outs. My discontinued (37.5 lb) Samsung HD1000 does it I have in the secondary basement system (will do 1080i or 720p), but there were not many of those available and they were not as cheap as the other Samsungs. The people who regularly post in that area have much more knowledge of the DVD player market and what your options would be.

Anton

Auditioning
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes Im aware of some DVD players who upscale to 1080i via component jacks. I have the LiteOn DVD which does it but not so impresed. cant realy tell the difference.

Was thinking more of converting DVI signals to Component since new DVD players that upscale use DVI-outputs to achieve better resolution, while my HDTV does not have DVI-inputs.

Is it possible to convert a DVI signal to Component?

Anton

Auditioning
Hi Phil,

Sorry i didnt catch the ATI link you sent earlier showing possible converter's.

OK, if the converter exists for PC Video cards, will it work say from a Samsung DVD player's DVI-Output to my HDTV Component Inputs?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Anton, I have no idea. Not that up on technical video stuff. I actually saw Radio Shack carrying (I think a $99.99) a device that also goes from a PC to component outs. It looked like a VGA out from the computer side but I did not look that closely. What makes you think a DVI connection will automatically be better or especially a converted output from a player? My guess is that some (if not all) of these devices may make the output 480p. The device it goes thru won't be a perfect pass thru as you're doing in essence a converion vs. a straight digital pass thru via a DVI connection.

Granted my Samsung HD1000 is not a cheap player, but I've had it hooked to my Sharp 9000 on a 100 inch screen the 720p via component (the HD1000 has no DVI) was stunning. The layer changes are a hair slow on the player and the DVD-A is better on the Rotel RDV-1060 I have. The Rotel doing 480p looks pretty good. I have the HD1000 on my old 64 inch rear proj. HD ready set in the basement which will only do 1080i and it looks good but not as stunning as it does on my other set. I've also owned a very high end DVD player (prior to getting the Samsung - a Proceed) and its 480p was pretty close in quality to what the Samsung did. On a good transfer, the Samsung was a hair better.

I assume you used AVIA or some other disc to maximize the DVD player with your set? You may wish also to look at a better player, and that's why I suggested looking at the Audio/Video source area. People have posted stuff about the upsamplers and the new Panasonic S97. I don't follow the stuff all that closely as I'm more into high end audio and look to that area to the people who follow the latest. The display device you have may also be the limitation like my old 64 inch or the Samsung 40 inch LCD rear proj. I have in the bedroom system. So, if you have not already, I'd get a hold of an AVIA or some other test disc and tweak the player you have. If that does not do it for you, then you might want to try to pick-up something from a store with a good return policy and tweak that player and see how it looks.

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator

I don't think so. I'm not an expert on the topic by far so chime in if you have a better understanding than what I offer here. From the vantage point of my limited understanding, at issue is the digital source signal from the Samsung DVD player and its incompatability with the analog, NTSC interlaced TV display that you own. Simply changing the interface from DVI to component by use one of an adapter such as the ATI product won't solve the problem. So, if you had a HDTV that didn't have DVI input but had component then using an adapter would work because the HDTV works with the digital signal. I think that you'd need to change the format in addition to changing the interface from DVI to component to make compatible the equipment you have in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks