DVI switching receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gavin_mi, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Gavin_mi

Gavin_mi Stunt Coordinator

hi all,

I have been looking to upgrade my receiver for some time now, and with HD DVD/bluray in the near future I see the need for a receiver that has atleast 2 DVI/HDMI inputs. can any of you recommend one? I have been looking at HKs for some time now....like the 7300 but none of them have a DVI switch built in....I know Denon has a $6k reciever that has 3 HDMI inputs...but I would like to stay under $2k. I would also like the receiver to be THX...not sure how possible this is considering my budget.

any info would be much appriciated....btw up until now I have been using a pioneer 514....which has worked fine but now that im out of college and have a job i would like to REALLY enjoy my HT [​IMG] ....I bought a mits 62327 DLP monitior and now im gonna get some audio to match [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Gavin

2. Gavin_mi

seems that I have found an answer in the Marantz SR 8500. it is in my price range of about 1500 and it is THX select.

any info from owners on this receiver would be great...pros? cons? [​IMG] 's or [​IMG] 's

thanks,
    Gavin

3. Dick C

Dick C Auditioning

Gavin_mi: Can you wait until August??? Due by August are the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi ($1,500, 140Wpc x 7)and the VSX-72TXV ($1,200, 130Wpc x 7), with 2-in, 1-out HDMI switching and conversion of all analog video inputs (composite, S-video, and component video) to HDMI. This info is from: ultimateavmag.com.

4. Gavin_mi

ya i can wait til then, but would this be a better receiver? more power isnt always better right? and the 74 might say its putting out 140W but what would the RMS be?

on the other hand i always have liked pioneer equipment...even for a cheapy the 514 that i have now from pioneer does really well.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

This is something the Marantz won't do. Power Rating wise, it will be a wash. Even if it's only putting out 110wpc, then you still won't notice a difference. The Elites are usually heavier too which tends to mean they have a bit more robust power supply.

6. Gavin_mi

im having a hard time finding the article on the new pioneer elite models on the mag web site, can you link or give me some direction?

thanks,
    Gavin

7. Gavin_mi

i cant find any info on the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi [​IMG] a google search didnt even yeild anything! you would think with a due date of about a month there would be some info out there....

any info would be great.

Gavin

8. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

We just got in the new Yamaha RX-V4600, looks pretty sweet! Can't wait to put it in one of our rooms.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer