DVI source to VGA input on projector

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Laplante, Jan 6, 2005.

1. David Laplante

Hi,

I am starting to look at changing my DVD player and want to buy a player capable of upconverting to 1080i. I have a Infocus X1 Projector with RCA, S-Video and VGA (Computer monitor plug).

With my current DVD Player, I am able to get a 480p signal using component cables and the Infocux Component TO VGA adaptor.

From what I read, it seems that a DVI connection is better than component. As I already have a DVI to VGA adaptor (which came with a new PC Video card), I was wondering if connecting a DVI Source through an adaptor to VGA on the projector would keep the signal digital?

If the signal is still converted to Analog by either the adaptor or by the projector, then will I see any difference at all ?

Thanks

David

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    David, I also have the X1. VGA and DVI are not the same, it won't do what you want. You will have to buy a DVD player that upconverts over component, such as the Zenith DVB318. There is a long thread about this combo at Avsforum.com. I decided to wait until the HD DVD players come out and are affordable. I run my DVD player in interlaced mode thru the S-video/component input of X1. This takes advantage of the Faroudja inside X1, and allows you to use an inexpensive DVD player. The Toshiba 3960, currently $49.00 at Best Buy, was rated the best budget DVD player at Hometheaterhifi.com.
    It's interlaced mode is very popular at Avsforum.com.

3. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I tried several dvd players with my x1, and the 1080i output from the liteone 2001 was hands down the best. Technically there should be artifact galore since the player upconvers it and the projector downconverts it, but for some reason the picture on a well mastered disc is almost hd quality.

Since that liteon is no longer available your choices are the zenith, and something I believe called the D1(not sure the manufacturer). The D1 I believe is a clone of the liteon, so if you can find that, that is a good way to go.

I think you need to be careful with the zenith. Check the thread, but I believe not all firmware versions of it output 1080i over component.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

V. Inc makes the Bravo. The D1 is no longer manufactured, replaced by the D2. Both have their issues and neither are clones of the Lite-On.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The progressive mode isn't that great. Not motion adaptive considering today's poorly flagged dvd's is a mistake IMHO but then again you are using it for analog/interlaced mode then you are probably fine.